× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

over 40 and applying to medical school

More
9 years 2 months ago #75031 by Doc201X
Hey Harley,

It's only too late after you're dead, LOL!!

BTW, LOVE the username! I rode on a Harley for the first time a few weeks ago and it was a complete blast!!!

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #75085 by wannaBe
I'm so glad I found this discussion!! I am 33, a software engineer looking for a career change, and keep find myself considering med school. I've been considering Pharmacy for the most part, but the more I think about it, I think I would end up wanting more patient interaction in my daily work routine. I enjoy interacting with people and get along great with everyone (all ages, personalities, etc.), and I love problem solving (it's the most rewarding part of software). I make excellent grades, find science fascinating, am a good test taker and at memorization (MUCH better than when I was in high school). I originally returned to school to (finally) complete my computer science degree, but with the lack of satisfaction I have in doing that kind of work already, I decided to consider other things. It's awesome to read this discussion - very encouraging!
I wish you all the best in your endeavors!!

More
9 years 1 month ago #75699 by latebloomer0920
I'm so glad I found this website!!! I've read this entire thread and it makes me so happy to see that I am not alone on this journey.

Throughout my life, I've had many thoughts and ideas regarding becoming a physician - unfortunately, it has taken until now (I'm 41 yrs. old) to have the confidence, support and commitment to go after what I want.

My family and friends consistently encouraged me to become a nurse - so I did all the pre-req's, got into a local program, and completed my first quarter of nursing school this past Spring. The problem was, when I actually got into nursing school - I hated it!!! When I finished the quarter, I decided that I would finally pursue medical school. Luckily, I have an awesome husband who supports me completedly. My mom, on the other hand, keeps stammering about me being too old to become a doctor - I am learning to ignore her.

It's so good to have a site like this, to draw strength from and to hear from like-minded women.

More
8 years 11 months ago #76275 by sourcandynut
Wow! So awesome to find some ladies my age, doing what I am dreaming of doing! You are an INSPIRATION!

My first career choice was that of an elementary teacher. Looking back, I see clearly now that I really just wanted to be a mom. :)

Still LOVE being a mom to our five children, ages 7-18, and I did receive my teaching certificate and have kept it current. However, I don't believe that teaching school is what I really want to do.

I have discovered I feel a poignant fascination with the human body--all of it's interdependent systems! I think I would LOVE the learning! Also, the application--the 'mom' in me just wants to find out what's wrong and help to make everything all better.

However, I'm not willing to sacrifice too much from my husband/kids. Obviously, everyone's idea of 'too much' is different. I just wish I had a clear 'birds-eye' view of the 'cost' of this dream, so I could truly weigh it against the things which matter most to me.

I have more of a 'journey' mentality, than worrying about the destination--as long as I love what I do. If I'm 55 when I get there, so what? I'm going to be 55 someday, anyway. But, again--what is the 'cost'? How much time will I really miss from my family? They're all in school, which is good, but what about the hours before and after? Can you ever arrange class schedules and residencies, etc. to allow Parent/teacher conferences, soccer games, shopping for Prom etc.? Or, does your life become 'theirs' from your first day of med school? And, at what point in med school do the 'sun-less' days begin; for how long do they last?

I'm also curious about Physical therapy, because I've read about the curriculum (some very interesting classes) and much smaller time frame to complete. But, my 'gut' tells me that I would want to help the whole person, not just mostly help rehabilitate the parts that aren't working. (I'm thinking a D.O. in Primary Care is exactly up my alley.)

But, again, what is the price I will have to pay from all other areas of my life?

Could someone who has been-there/done-that (or is currently doing that) please share some of their wisdom? I will so appreciate it!

More
8 years 8 months ago #77416 by Natascha
I am crying tears of joy for finding this forum! I have always wanted to be a doctor, but was told in high school by a counselor that I wasn't smart enough, (I finished A&P with 99% by the way! HA! Not smart enough!) my parents thought it was too expensive, I was afraid of the "hard" courses....anatomy, chemistry etc....so I let them all talk me out of it.

I have traveled a lot, have 2 children, 9 and 5 years old, and am turning 40 in April....and I still have that nagging feeling that I need to be a doctor. I feel so much turmoil over this, it's actually giving me stomach aches.....

I started pre-reqs 2 years ago for nursing. But it still doesn't feel quite right....My plan was to get a bachelor degree in nursing and then re-evaluate if I still want med school or go nurse practitioner route. I need the bachelor degree anyway....and I will take the required med school pre-reqs as well....

My husband is not supportive of med school...the nearest one is a 2 hour drive away....(if I were to even get into that one!) I

I am so glad that there are other mom's out there who are struggling with the same dreams. It helps to know I am not alone. I am unsure if I am willing to sacrifice missing out on my kids to pursue this dream. Can I handle lack of sleep? Not seeing the sun for days...or my kids? I don't think I can answer that right now.....maybe doing the doctor of nursing practice is more right for me?

Thanks for letting me ramble.....I am hoping the "right" path becomes clear for me soon.......

Have a wonderful day!

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #77446 by latebloomer0920
Hi Natascha!

I'm in the same boat - although I have been accepted to nursing school, and finished my first quarter. I have a very similar story to you - it wasn't teachers or parents who talked me out of med school, it was my own lack of confidence in science and math. Well, I have since completed all nursing pre-req's and calculus with a 3.9 gpa. I'm 42, with three kids, and a husband who, for the most part, supports my goals. However, he very much wants me to continue nursing school, and I discovered after the first quarter that I don't really feel like nursing is the place for me (I actually took the next quarter off, to really think about what path I should take). I thought the same as you: I could probably do the nursing route if it was as an advance practice nurse (I was really interested in becoming a CRNA), if I could have autonomy and diagnosing scope of practice. My problem is that nursing just does not inspire me! I want to do more! Unfortunately, you have to log a lot of time doing standard nursing in order to qualify for most advance practice degrees. I keep thinking that I should do medicine - I can't get it out of my head, even while I'm in nursing school. It is SO frustrating! :mad:

The flip side is that I completely value my time with my kids (other than school, I have been a stay at home mom for 10 years). I am so afraid of doing harm to them, by fulfilling my goals - being selfish.

I completely understand where you're coming from - if you have any insight, I'm all ears... :)

Danielle
Last Edit: 8 years 8 months ago by .

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!