× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

over 40 and applying to medical school

More
8 years 8 months ago #77461 by Doc201X

sourcandynut wrote: But, again, what is the price I will have to pay from all other areas of my life? Could someone who has been-there/done-that (or is currently doing that) please share some of their wisdom? I will so appreciate it!

You'll need to take a peek at oldpremeds to find folks our age who have done medicine in their 40's. But rest assured, they are definitely out there!!!!

As for the price you have to pay I think EVERY decision comes with a price, so for me, it's all about what you're comfortable "paying". I've decided to wait until my kid gets closer to finishing high school (she's 14 now), but many others have completed med school with kids at all ages. That said, I think it's critically important to be realistic especially when you have more than one child. Multiple children by NO means ends the med school dream IMHO, but timing becomes key. I'd probably wait until my youngest was at least in middle school before I matriculated in med school, but depending on your support system and what you're comfortable with, there's no reason you can't consider doing it sooner than that!

So ladies, anyone sitting for the MCAT this year? That's MY goal!!! :grin:

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #77558 by Natascha
Thanks Danielle! It helps to know I am not alone in my confusion.

I checked out some practice MCATS and wanted to cry, I have never taken Psychics...it scares the you know what out of me, and then I think there is no point wasting my time because its too hard, and then even if I do pass it, I am too old to be applying to med school. By the time I will have completed a bachelor degree, I will be about 44/45.....they will laugh in my face right??

I agree about the nagging feeling though....my mom is in the hospital right now and am so envious of the doctors, and wish so much I did this before I had children.

Have a happy new year!
Natascha

More
8 years 6 months ago #78638 by Doc201X
I'm neck deep in MCAT study for a late August exam. Anyone else studying for the MCAT and how's it going?

www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
8 years 4 months ago #79374 by Doc201X
What's good ladies?

www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
8 years 4 months ago #79387 by 3DMOM
I too am studying for the MCAT. I will be taking it in Aug as well. I am very blessed that my job is allowing me to work 20 hrs a week. My mom has been sick so I have more time for her.

I always believe that age is only a number and your lif e is what YOU make of it. I will be 40 next year and I am still getting better. My 16 daughter will be in her senior year in high school and my sons will be 6 and 5 when I start medical school. It is an adventure that we, as a family, will be going through together.

More
8 years 3 months ago #80062 by Doc201X
Hellloooo!! Is this thing still on, LOL??

www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!