× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

over 40 and applying to medical school

More
8 years 2 months ago #80345 by 3DMOM
Path, I have been studying my BUTT off. Some days I get depressed and have to pray my way back to my books and my Princeton MCAT recordings. How has it been going for you? I also bought the MCAT for Sept 2, 2011. I needed more time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #80349 by Doc201X

3DMOM wrote: Path, I have been studying my BUTT off. Some days I get depressed and have to pray my way back to my books and my Princeton MCAT recordings. How has it been going for you? I also bought the MCAT for Sept 2, 2011. I needed more time.

Hey 3D, it's been up and down for me too, having great highs, occasionally followed by low, lows. When I get into a low, I just put the books down for a day or two to give my mind some time to regroup. And yes, praying has been extrememly helpful staying on task!

It also looks like I'm going to be starting a new gig soon too which will probably prompt me to change my test date from Aug 16 to some time in Sept.

Hang in there girlfriend!

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
8 years 1 month ago #80851 by Doc201X

DblDoc201X wrote: It also looks like I'm going to be starting a new gig soon too which will probably prompt me to change my test date from Aug 16 to some time in Sept.

Hang in there girlfriend!

Hello Ladies!

I got that new gig and changed my test date until September. And after rereading this thread, I KNOW there's NO WAY in hell I'm NOT going to take the test this time because I KNOW this IS MY TIME!!!!

September 2011 baby! :)

www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #80941 by latcatin
I am sorry to hear about your divorce. I went through that with an unsupportive man at 27. I didn't decide to go to med school until about 35. Took 8 years to get a bachelor's thanks to Katrina. I ran into some age bias at the schools I applied to, but your experience may not be the same. I've gotten a second degree and will be retaking the MCAT in order to break 30, but would likely be fine without the retake (it's more of a personal thing...I KNOW I can do it). This round I am only applying to private schools due to a long list of bad experiences with government programs between Katrina and state funded universities. I will be starting med school somewhere in the Fall of 2012. I will be 46. It's been a lot of work, but if I can do it, then you can do it!

Also, the state-U rhetoric to "have a plan B" doesn't sit well with me. That's for kids who haven't lived yet. At our age, we know if we have the grades and the scores to get in. In my opinion, DO schools will be equal to MD schools in the long run and shouldn't be ruled out as an option. Most of them aren't so age biased, either. My only plan B is Ross U in the Carib. I WILL be a doctor when I'm 50 :)

Stay focused, do well in school, get at least 27 on the MCAT, and you won't need a "plan B"
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #80975 by Doc201X

latcatin wrote: Also, the state-U rhetoric to "have a plan B" doesn't sit well with me. That's for kids who haven't lived yet.......My only plan B is Ross U in the Carib. I WILL be a doctor when I'm 50 :) Stay focused, do well in school, get at least 27 on the MCAT, and you won't need a "plan B"

I'm 45 and I strongly disagree about your thoughts on the idea of a "plan" B. IMHO, it's not a "state U" rhetoric, it's LIFE rhetoric. We all need something to do if we don't get admitted, preferable something we find reasonably enjoyable. So it's not so much that you shouldn't have one, it's about the fact that sometimes YOUR plan for life doesn't match up yet to God's plan for your life. And that's where "plan B" comes into play.

Sometimes "plan B" can be about getting finances in order, or personal lives in order, gaining confidence, getting kids to college, or maybe all of the above. For the people I know who were delayed in matriculating into med school or whatever other "goal" they had in life, I've never met ONE who regretted the delay, whatever the cause. Because at the end of the day, our lives tend to fall into place exactly the way they're supposed to.

About your "position" on applying to state schools, I hate to say this but it comes across like you have a HUGE chip on your shoulder because of it and I'm sure it would come across in an interview. Check this, I'm Black, I'm female, AND I'm over 40 and I STILL believe I'll be admitted to a med school and not just med school, but an MD/PhD program. And if I had a dollar for the number of times well meaning and not so well meaning people discouraged me from my goal, I'd probably be able to retire by now! But if I had ignored the negativity and stayed focused on MY goal anyway, I'd be DONE by now or pretty close to it!

Now, I put that energy into doing something POSITIVE toward my goal, like studying hard for my Sept. MCAT and enjoying my "plan B" which I happen to do right now as a Scientist using methods common in Pathology. But most importantly, I keep my attitude about this entire process POSITIVE!!!!

www.Doc201X.blogspot.com
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

More
7 years 9 months ago #83016 by Doc201X
Where my over 40 ladies at and what's up?

Me, I'm on the daily "grind" from 9-5, and researching med schools at night. I'm also preparing to do some tutoring in Chemistry, Orgo, and Biochem in the Spring. Finally, I got this stats course that I'm going through at a snails pace, LOL!!!

www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!