× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

over 40 and applying to medical school

More
7 years 8 months ago #83278 by nurse2md
Hey all, Keep posting! I find you inspiring!

I am 33 and an RN, been a nurse for 10 years, finishing up my BSN. I wanted to be a nurse practitioner, but with increasing requirements for a doctorate degree, I thought, well hell might as well go to med school! So, here I am, contemplating something crazy. It will take me at least another year to get my BSN then I need physics, chems, and calc. I think I must be crazy, but I figure even if it doesn't work out, this dream will keep me getting out of bed each morning and cherishing what time I have with my girls. What could be wrong with that.

Get behind me or get out of my way!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #84155 by Doc201X
Any updates ladies???I've decided to apply this year instead of waiting until next summer.

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
5 years 2 months ago #94636 by MomAfrique
Hello! I am new to this group and have been truly inspired by the stories I have read so far. I realize this post has not been updated since 2012 but I am curious as to how you ladies who were planning to go to med school in your late 30s and 40s are doing? I am a 33 year old mum of two (3 years old and 6 months) who has been contemplating med school since 2005! I actually applied in 2012 to one local university, got an interview but was waitlisted. I applied in a special category for non-traditional students that only accepts 3 students a year! Anyway, I definitely want to try apply again but I have been very undecided lately because of worries about being away from my kids too much. I did not anticipate how attached to them I would become! I have been working as a research scientist in the pharmaceutical industry for the last 8 years. My husband is behind my decision to go to med school 100%! After yet another talk with my husband, we have decided to postpone re-applying until the kids are in school. So we will revisit the issue in about 5 years time. I feel at peace with this decision especially when I read about people who have been brave enough to apply in their 30s and up!! I will have to re-sit the MCAT since it will have expired but I'm ok with that!! I look forward to hearing back from you ladies! All the best with your endeavours!

More
5 years 1 month ago #94682 by Doc201X
Hello MomAfrique, welcome to this VERY lonely thread, lol!!!

You may want to also check out oldpremeds.com where there are more premeds their 30's, 40's, and yes, even 50's!!!

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!