× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

Marrying a Marine, Becoming a Doctor

More
9 years 5 months ago #73724 by oliviarae
Thank goodness I have finally stumbled upon this website!

I am an undergraduate student who has changed her major quite a few times. I started off pre-med, and was scared away when I took O-chem my first year. BIG mistake. I spent a good deal of time waffling, then decided that nursing would be faster, easier, and would still allow me to have a family without sacrificing my career in medicine. However, I also decided to give O-chem another try so that I would feel like I finished everything I started in college. Lo and behold, I'm now doing incredibly well, I'm almost done with my med school prerequisites (just physics and a couple 4 credit classes next year), and I'm thinking seriously about medicine again.

But, I feel like there are so many more challenges now to becoming a doctor than a few years ago when I was merely fearful of the prerequisites!

This summer I'm marrying my high school sweetheart after 6+ years together (hooray!), who is in the Marine Corps now, and is commissioning shortly after our wedding as an officer, with a flight contract. This will be his career, so proud of him, but being married to a man in the military presents a number of challenges. Next year right when I'll be done with prereqs and prepared for the MCAT and applications, we'll be moving to Virginia for 6 months for the first part of his training, then to Florida for a year or more for another part, and then we finally should be somewhere more permanent. So in other words, if I want to go through medical school and still be living with my husband, it will be at least 2 or 3 years before I'll even know which schools to apply for! The time away from school would be fine, I could take a gap year and study hardcore for the MCAT, I'm just worried that medical schools would think it's been too long since I did my undergraduate prereqs. I'm prepared for the challenges of medical school, but I don't think I'm prepared to spend 4 years away from my husband, especially considering that there will be plenty of times in our future when he is away on deployments.

I'm also concerned about having a family. We are wanting to start having kids in 5 years which would put me right in the middle of medical school, and we want our kids to be fairly close in age so that would likely mean another kid in residency (we are planning for 2 kids now, 3 kids max).

I don't care one bit about the money, because I know that my husband will make enough to support us both very comfortably. I am so proud of what he is doing for his career. It's his "dream" job- being a doctor is mine. It's frustrating though, because by him having his dream job, it has made it so that I must make my education work around his. Where other husbands can step up and help with the work of having a family when their wives are in medical school/residency, I know that I have to plan for times when he deploys and it's just me. We won't live near our family, but we will have the support of the Marine corps community to help us.

I don't want to turn away from this again, because I know that I want it and if I decide to pursue a different career, it's settling so that I can make my life fit more easily into the structure that the military lifestyle demands. I used to think that it would be a stroke of luck if I made it into medical school, but I recently found some data from the AAMC on the profile of acceptance based on MCATS and GPA,and holy cow, I was in the 90th percentile. I don't want to sell myself short.

Does anyone here have advice, or experience with being a doctor/being in med school/being in residency and being married to the military? Some reassurance would also be great!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #88247 by davidfrank
spam
Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by .

More
6 years 7 months ago #88318 by Popcorn
Really? Dredge up an old post and say something like that? I mean, come on.

I would *actually* reply, however the post is nearly 3 years old, so I won't bother.

More
6 years 7 months ago #88320 by southernmd
&$%* spammers. I edited it. And the topic of the spam infuriates me personally.

More
6 years 7 months ago #88322 by AmmaMD
Isn't there a way to just delete someone's account when we've decided they're a spammer, and have it just automatically replace every post with a note that a post has been deleted from this thread as spam? If not, there should be... how does one make that happen?

More
6 years 7 months ago #88326 by Popcorn
Totally agree.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!