× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

Discouraged from taking clasess at a C.C.

More
9 years 5 months ago #74759 by FuturaDoctora
So, I had been taking my undergraduate clasess at a C.C. and have started to taking my Medical School pre-requesites at a C.C. and thinking about transfering to a 4year College later on to get my B.S. and by then feel good about taking my med prerequesites earlier on a C.C. since this is a long road. "That WAS the plan."
After reading so many threads on mommd and sdn about: 'should I take my pre-requesites at a C.C. or not'. I decided to take the plunge and asked my first top Medical Schools out-state and in-state choices if they accept pre-requesites at a C.C. and ODD enough, they both reassured me that they do not recommend anybody from taking Medical Pre-requesites at a C.C. and Now I FEEL TOTALLY DISCOURAGED.

I know that there are some exceptions and outstanding people in here who will say: 'I took my pre-requesites at a C.C. and got accepted to 5 schools!!' really!!

But, those are exceptions and they are not common nor more likely to occur in every nontrad. student.
So why hurt my chances? If according to them: "The Admissions Com. don't see equal or at the same level clasess taking at a CC. and 4 year College. They want to see a student taking the pre-requsites at 4 year U.S. acredited College because classess are rigurous and qualified.

If you ever wonder about where you should take your pre-requesites: Don't assume and don't ask people in the same situation that you are in. Always call the Med School you are interest in.

What do you guys think about this?
Should I look for other Medical School far away from home that will acept C.C. clasess?
Or should I take their advise too seriously?
HELP!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #74768 by asunshine
If you care about getting in to these schools, you definitely should take their advice seriously--they are the ones who will be choosing whether to admit you! I know finances and location can be an issue, but try to find a way to make it work so you can take your pre-reqs at a 4-year school. Since medical school admission is so competitive, I would not rely on only applying to schools that take CC pre-reqs.

Hang in there; it's really for your own good, since CC classes will be less likely to prepare you for the rigors of medical school studying (seriously, I studied SO MUCH harder in med school than I ever did in my undergrad--and my undergrad was no slouch).

More
9 years 5 months ago #74775 by Melbelle
I agree, and I'm one of those who took the cc courses and was accepted without a problem. If those are the schools you are interested in, listen to their advice.

One important point to consider is how many of your undergrad courses are not the actual medical school prerequisites. The med school prereqs are chem, o-chem, biology, and physics. I took all of those except chemistry at the university. I had a premed advisor specifically recommend taking history or writing or other basic bacc core classes at the cc, but not higher level science courses, since schools like to see those from a 4-year university. It's possible the advice is not so contradictory.

More
9 years 5 months ago #74786 by FuturaDoctora
Yeah, I was a little bit dissapointed by their suggestion, but since those are my top choices. . . gues I'm going to do what I was told. I am not going to hurt my chances in any way.
Hope this is useful to anybody wondering about C.C. clasess too.
:)

More
9 years 5 months ago #74788 by nerdy
CC classes can be perceived as the applicant "taking the easy way out". I had some CC classes on my transcript but the bulk of my classes (especially the upper level sciences) were at a four year university. I now go to med school at the same place I did my UG.

I think if you take the gen eds at the CC to save money, that is different since those aren't the core pre-med classes. Basically, med schools want to make sure you can handle the load/pace of med school classes.

More
9 years 5 months ago #74789 by Doc201X

FuturaDoctora wrote: Yeah, I was a little bit dissapointed by their suggestion, but since those are my top choices. . . gues I'm going to do what I was told. I am not going to hurt my chances in any way.
Hope this is useful to anybody wondering about C.C. clasess too.
:)

While I took and was admitted to med school with CC classes on my transcript, that was 10 years ago, when competition wasn't as stiff as it is today.

If a med school is specifically telling you NOT to take CC classes, then I would follow their advice.

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!