× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

Is it even possible?

More
8 years 9 months ago #77187 by RaeBuckaroo
I'm 17 years old in my senior year of high school... Being a doctor is what I've always wanted... The problem is I had no idea it was possible to be one. School wasn't something my parents pushed me to succeed in and even though I did well when I wanted to I just didn't have the motivation or the push I needed to stay on track. I've been to 4 high schools so far. 3 of them were public high schools. I completely blew my sophomore year. Now I'm at an alternative school with a guidance councilor who tells me I'm not going to graduate high school let alone go to college for anything. She is of no help to me. So now I'm in my senior year have no clue. I know what is needed of me to go to med school but does it sound crazy that I want to try now to get this dream job? Is the alternative school going to set me back? Is it worth the effort to try and become a doctor when I had no clue it was a possibility until now. I will do anything I just don't want it to be a waste of my time or anyone else.
So help a girl out? Give me some advice or tips. Please. Anything is welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #77190 by southernmd
How dare anyone ever tell you to not pursue your dreams - I'm so sorry that was told to you. At 17-yrs-old - the world is your oyster, my dear.

All you need to do is work hard in whatever high school you are in now, graduate, and go to college. Take the pre-med sequence.

www.aamc.org

Explore the site's resources for premeds in college, so you know what you need to do. Even if you start at a community college - you can do this!

Start slow - take courses a little at a time, and don't listen to the people who tell you can't do this!

You certainly can! Just focus on graduating high school for now, and read about what oyu need to do as a premed. You can do this, and many many many people have years of bad grades to make up for - high school doesn't matter for your med school app, but it only matters for going to undergrad. So work hard now, and know that nothing has been screwed up for you.

Again, so sorry you were not encouraged by a guidance counselor. They should be ashamed of themselves!

More
8 years 9 months ago #77191 by HCJ
Rae-
I also had some trouble in high school. I encountered some legal trouble and I also had to go to an alternative school for a while. I am about halfway through my pre-reqs for med school now, and I have a 4.0 (I failed classes pretty regularly in high school), so it is definitely possible to turn your life around.
I haven't even told anyone at school or in my family (aside from my husband and my advisor) about my dreams because I know first-hand that people can be discouraging.
If you work really hard, develop study habits, and have an interest in what you're learning, you can do whatever you want to do. Sounds cheesy, but it's absolutely true.
The one thing that still sometimes haunts me is the legal trouble. I actually just contacted a lawyer a few days ago to help me find out if/how this will impact a career in medicine. So, if you have had legal trouble, you might want to research that. If you haven't, steer clear and keep looking forward!

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life." <br />-Rachel Carson

More
8 years 9 months ago #77192 by Melbelle
You have a pretty terrible advisor.

No one at my medical school has any idea what my high school experience was like. I'll give you a hint, though - I barely graduated on time, and I never took the SAT. I always liked the idea of being a doctor, but the concept of taking on debt to go to school was completely unfathomable to me.

After high school I worked and went to community college, taking whatever random classes interested me. Since I had to pay for it, I finally started keeping my grades up. Years later I still wanted to go to medical school, so I got my ducks in a row, enrolled in a university (still didn't have to take the SAT - they just used my community college grades), and completed a bachelor's degree and the premed requirements.

All that is to say that it is possible to blunder through high school with little to no ambition and make it to medical school. Granted, it was a lot of work and I took a lot of time off in between. You don't have to take the time off, but you will have to work for it, and plan well. If your grades would prevent you from going to a university, go to a community college. Get exceptional grades there, then go to a university. Just be sure to graduate high school, then get very good grades. No one will know what your high school experience was like.

There are other satisfying medical careers, but if this is what you want, I don't see any reason why you can't do it.

More
8 years 9 months ago #77218 by RaeBuckaroo
You guys are awsome. You told me more than I could have hoped. Thanks so much for answering my questions. You guys helped more than I can tell you. The first positive comments i've gotten sense I've made it know that being a doctor is what I want to do. You guys are rock stars. =] HCJ I hope that all works out for you. And just thanks a million.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #77415 by Natascha
I had the same thing happen. In high school I told the adviser I wanted to be a doctor...he told me I wasn't smart enough. My parents were not supportive because it cost too much money for med school.

I let them all talk me out of it. Now I am almost 40, and after travelling the world, having a family, I still have that nagging feeling that keeps me awake at night because I am not doing what I have known I should be doing.

I have started taking nursing classes, am on the waitlist for an LPN program (and got 99% in Anatomy and Physiology by the way.....so screw what any adviser tells you!!!) But, I still dream of being a doctor.

My plan right now is to get a Bachelor in Nursing...and then take it from there....I don't have a Bachelor degree...and need one anyway....maybe I will decided nurse practitioner is enough....maybe not.

But my advice to you is to go for it. I regret it so much that I didn't just do it when I was young, as it is going to be far more difficult now with kids and being older.

Only you know in your heart what the right path is....and if you try to ignore it, or talk yourself out of it, it will only give you a stomach ache (seriously...I think that is why I have so much reflux...I am burying my dreams).

Last Edit: 8 years 8 months ago by .

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!