× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

Talk to me about med school

More
8 years 8 months ago #77420 by DrSingleMom

I'm a 22yrold single mom of a 5 month old with no baby daddy and/or child support.
Right now, I'm going to school to be a surgical tech. I've been talking myself out of going further because of my situation but I really think I could do it.
I've read on the medical school websites here that they prefer liberal art undergrad degrees over science degrees because they want someone "well-rounded." So my game plan is to get my bachelors degree in Spanish while I work as a surgical tech.
My concern is supporting myself and my son in medical school because I understand it'll be difficult to work during that time.
Any thoughts/advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #77490 by futuredoc22
I am in the same boat you are..am 22 and have a 2 month year old.. I want to be a doctor.. I have been talking my self down to a nurse ..but my heart wants more.. I want help also.. maybe we can help each other.. get though this and be good support.

More
8 years 8 months ago #77498 by rianah100
You are 22 and have a child w/o the support of the father. You have a lot ahead of you. My best suggestion is to wait till you are older (yes, 30+). Your baby needs you. Remember, Jackie Onasis said once- "if you bungle raising your children, all else won't matter."

More
8 years 8 months ago #77499 by Melbelle
I don't have any feedback on being a single mom, but being "well-rounded" does not necessarily mean being liberal arts. My school strongly prefers the diverse and well-rounded applicant, but most of us are still science majors. At the end of the day it doesn't matter much, but it may be easier and more efficient to fulfill the medical school prerequisites while getting a science degree and volunteer at an art museum on the weekends to fill in the artsy side. Besides, I think the extra science classes from my undergrad have been a little helpful. I've heard of most of these concepts before, even if we are covering them in great depth and at break-neck speed.

Good luck, whatever you choose! I'd also look into PA if I were you. It's an respectable field with a lot of flexibility and responsibility.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!