× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

34 yr old and thinking about MD

More
8 years 7 months ago #77696 by consult2health
Pending questions:
(1) Is Biostatistics/Bioengineering/Bioinformatics a better alternative than Statistics Masters (I'm getting Masters anyways, but might be able to alter the major)?

(2) Is a formal postbac viewed more positively by adcoms than alternatives (prereqs taken at a community college/university)?

(3) What you all think about Caribbean schools (w/ potential to transfer to US MedS, I read there're at least 1 Caribbean school w/ that option)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #77697 by consult2health
want2bmd, forgive my ignorance but what MOA stands for (medical assistant)? also, can you post the link to the article you mentioned?

More
8 years 7 months ago #77700 by residentmom
That's a good point, C2H, you should definitely expand on that thought in your app/ interviews, if you can. There are definitely lots of "older" people in med schools all over (we had a retired engineer in my class) and from my observation they tended to be very dedicated and determined. If you can get into a US school it will be far easier for you to match a residency. Caribbean schools are easier to get into... and everybody knows that. While you might be an outstanding doctor, you will just come with a degree of suspicion right away if you apply to residency out of the carribbean. However, if it is the only way you can go to med school, then do it and don't look back. Just plan to really blow the USMLE out of the water. :)

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #77868 by consult2health
I'd appreciate comments on the following qs:

(1) Is Biostatistics/Bioengineering/Bioinformatics a better alternative than Statistics Masters (I'm getting Masters anyways, but might be able to alter the major)?

(2) Is a formal postbac viewed more positively by adcoms than alternatives (prereqs taken at a community college/university)?

(3) What do you all think about Caribbean schools (w/ potential to transfer to US MedS, I read there're at least 1 Caribbean school w/ that option)?

(4) Best way to find shadowing (cold calling, or)?

(5) It's been a long time since I took Bio/Chem (high school), what is the best way to master the material?
Last Edit: 8 years 7 months ago by .

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!