× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

Engineer thinking of medical school....

More
8 years 7 months ago #77861 by ksuwildcat
Hi! I graduated from college in 2008 with a degree in Biological Engineering. I have now been working in the oil and gas industry for a major oil company for a little over 2 years. I'm always comtemplated whether I should go back to school for medicine, and have been thinking of it more and more often. My BioEngineering degree has provided me with a solid chem and bio background, however, it's been several years now. I'm 26 years old and not sure what my chances are. I graduated college with a 3.7 GPA. Any suggestions for me? What are my chances with being older, non-premedical student? I also have not had alot of "volunteer" or "shadowing" experience since college. I have not shadowed in the medical / health area since I was a freshman in college. After that I have interned in environmental engineering jobs, and with oil and gas companies. Suggestions? I could really use some help here folks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #77866 by Melbelle
I would work on the volunteer experiences, and shadow some physicians. You are not very old for premed. The average age in my first-year class is 26. I'm older than that, and there are several older than I am. In addition, a surprising portion of my classmates are liberal arts majors. A handful of schools may not like the older applicant, but many actually prefer an applicant with life experience.

If I were you, I'd find some doctors to shadow or an ER to volunteer in so you can get some medical experience and see if this is really a job you want. Then you'll need to make sure you have the prerequisites and take the MCAT. It likely hasn't been that long since college, so I wouldn't worry too much about the classes you took then. Just make sure you have the prerequisites, and review enough to do well on the MCAT. You need biology, chemistry, o-chem, physics, and sometimes biochem/genetics/math. You probably already have the majority if not all of those classes.

Really, the biggest thing for you to do is figure out whether or not this is for you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!