× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

Is doctoring a good fit for me?

More
8 years 8 months ago #79004 by southernmd
In order to give you your desired opinion then - I would probably take the free tuition and run with it IF you want to do primary care.

Then I would graduate from residency with my sights set on a part-time primary care job if this is what you think you want to do. IF. Only problem is - half of my classmates have changed their minds on what they want to do already. I would hate for you to do the same, but be locked into a scholarship that forces you into it all the same.

So there are a lot of ifs there..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #79005 by indecisive
Yes, there are a lot of IFs...one thing I couldn't do in that scenario, though, is get a part time job right out of residency. The scholarship requires 4 years of full time work after residency to fulfill the service commitment. So then I am looking at an 11 year commitment (4 med school + 3 residency + 4 payback), as opposed to about 4-5 in the best case scenario for a NP degree (2 years school + a couple years loan repayment).

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #79006 by Doc201X
I'm old skol, and where I come from "doubt means don't".

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com
Last Edit: 8 years 8 months ago by .

More
8 years 8 months ago #79007 by Melbelle
If I were you, I'd ask the school for a deferral. It sounds like you are not sure enough to start on this path right now. You're anxious to do a lot of different things that don't actually line up with medical school.

Realistically, if working 60 hours a week sounds unreasonable to you, I think medical school and residency will be years of torture. I don't know what your life experiences up until now are like, but it might be worth it to spend some time checking out the options some more. I would really hate for you to realize after a year of medical school that this is too long and intense of a road for you. I don't know what your scholarship is like, but the NHSC requires a 3x payback if you don't fulfill your obligations.

More
8 years 8 months ago #79044 by indecisive
I was thinking of a deferral too. I've been speaking with the school and I think I can defer both my spot and the scholarship. I have a phone meeting with the dept. on Thursday, and will also find out how flexible the program will be - could i do a part time residency? could I take a year long maternity leave during the repayment period? etc... But regardless, deferring will give me more time to figure it all out and make sure this is the right path for me. I was initially concerned about deferring because it would just make me one year older when i finish residency, but I guess that really doesn't matter...

More
8 years 8 months ago #79049 by Melbelle
You'll still be living and doing what you want regardless of your age. And you'll have so much more peace of mind if you make a solid decision.

I started medical school at 29. I'm probably going to take a year off for maternity leave. I love endocrinology - if I pursue that path I won't be able to start practice until I'm in my 40's.

It's not like finishing residency is an on-switch, though. I won't start living and doing what I want on that day. I am working toward what I want and building my life every day. I'm on the path to where I want to go. Sometimes I hate it, but this is the life I chose after a lot of deliberation. The peace of mind I have from taking the time to decide what I wanted to do is what gets me through the hard days.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!