× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

Feel stuck

More
8 years 6 months ago #78751 by jcgrund
Hi. I am a 31 year old LPN, working in primary care. I have finished my AA in pre-nursing (GPA:3.7), and I start the RN bridge(2 terms)in August. I want more than anything else to become a doctor. I just don't know how to get there. My husband is in the military and we are stationed in an area with no opportunities for education. The closest 4 year university is two hours away. I could wait until we move somewhere else, but I'm already 31, and moving is not on the immediate horizon. Or I could spend the next two years driving back and forth for med school pre-req's, stressing my family and my finances, with no guarantee of being accepted to medical school. The easier option for me, of course, is to continue in nursing, because there are numerous options for on-line programs, and I can eventually become a nurse practitioner, which would allow me to help people as a provider. My big problem is that I want to be a doctor. My sensible side tells me to go for nursing because it really would be so much easier for me and my family, but my gut tells me that nursing won't make me happy. I don't want to keep going in this direction when I know it isn't right. And I don't want to look back and feel regret that I took the easy way, without even trying to follow my passion. I guess this post is just a rant, because I already know what I should do. I guess I just need to find the courage.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #78761 by mommameg
dear jc grund

see my post on OB v peds. sounds like we are in the same place.
afraid of a challenge, yet unsure if the challenge will have a happy ending . . . guess you will just have to make the best of what we pick

More
8 years 6 months ago #78806 by clee03m
One of the brightest in my med school class was an RN. She just always seemed so ahead of the curve because she knew so much. Being an RN really worked in her favor. So I think both becoming a nurse and becoming a doctor can work together.

If you are not happy, you won't be able to fully give to your family. I vote to follow your passion. I can't imagine you would really be happy if you want to become a doctor, but settle for less. For example, hours of dissecting in an anatomy lab is not something you can replace. And every physician should have a working knowledge of human anatomy. Stack everything in your favor, though. Raise your GPA, and get a kick ass score on the MCAT. That way, you will be pretty sure you will get in somewhere.

Good luck!

More
8 years 5 months ago #78912 by abdur
this is giving me a hope because i am thinking of quitting nursing and once i had a dream of becoming doctor...OMG ..:(

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!