× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

MD or PA

More
8 years 5 months ago #79058 by jndelgado
So I am in my second year of college. Since I was 16 I have been debating on whether I should go to medical school because that is when I got pregnant with my first child.
Becoming a doctor is something that I want more than anything, but now I'm a single mother with two children, 3 and 15 months. By the time I would start medical school they will be around 5 and 3. Four years of medical school then they will be about 9 and 7. Its the residency that scares me. I have heard how demanding residency is and I'm scared that I will have to sacrafice so much time with my kids. So I don't know what to do.
Not becoming a doctor would break my heart, but not being there for my kids would also break my heart. I know I can do medical school and I know I could become a doctor. What I don't know is if I can do that to my kids. But then again, I don't know residency works, except that its very demanding.

So then I started thing maybe I'd do PA instead. Its faster and less demanding. I can still work in the same setting and be exposed to the same things. And wait until they're older and going off to school to become a doctor :) and then go back to medical school. If I do that I'll be 38 when I go back. Which from where I am from when someone says they'll go back to school later or they're just gonna take a year off they usually never go back.

I just don't know what to do. I'd appreciate any advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!