× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

PA or MD? w/ non-traditional background? HELPPP!!!

More
8 years 5 months ago #79204 by medicinemadness
I had originally planned on pursuing a medical degree with a non-tradtional communications and art major (bc it of my general interest in the subject). I have a high GPA and good over all medical school application & I have all the pre-reqs and shadowing hours necessary, BUT in the last few months I have found out more and more about PAs. This career has many of the aspects of medicine I like, such as treating and diagnosing a patient, but is seemingly more family friendly.

One of the most important things to me is my future family. I was planning on going to medical school, and pursuing dermatology because of the ease of lifestyle and general interest in the cosmetics of the specialty (even if it is competitive), But I like the 1. diversity of a PA career 2. the ability to return if I take time off for children and 3. the less dept in schooling. I assume I would be able to pay back loans with the higher salary of derm too, but I will ideally have children to care for and I will have a husband to put through med school at the same time.

My dilemmas are:
1. I think it is too late and too expensive to change my major now, and I do not know if my communications major would be acceptable to a PA school. Do PA schools take non-traditional majors if they have shadowing and work hours?

2. I would still be willing to work hard to hopefully reach my goal of dermatology. But would it still interfere with my children's lives? would PA still be better?

3. I understand that a solid med school application is not necessarily a good PA application- but what more do I need to do to become a better PA applicant if that is what I decide?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #79213 by efex101
PA hands down. It allows you a TON of flexibility and none of the downsides of being an MD.

More
8 years 5 months ago #79253 by annie501
If you are interested in cosmetics and minor surgery, maybe dentistry would be a good fit?

I also think PA sounds like a good option.

More
8 years 4 months ago #79429 by medicinemadness
Well I am currently a Public Relations major, because I like relating to people, but what is out there that I can gain medical experience with that doesn't require another year of schooling? example- LPN or Medical Assistants take another year or more of school before working. what can i do now to gain experience and possibly get paid?

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!