× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

MD/PA/RN.....Someone HELP me choose!!

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #80511 by doctorparn

I want the career with good prospects for the future. I want to be able to transition into higher paying specialties if I so choose.

Would anyone recommend I do RN or PA now and go about my life, possibly have a family, and go back to medical school later in life?

I am thinking of doing an ad hoc under grad degree meaning I choose the classes I want not a specific major, that will allow me to do the pre-reqs for all and do some volunteering in rape crisis in an emergency department and also trying to shadow a few MD/PA/RN..

Anyone any advice specific to my situation? Thanks.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #80527 by southernmd
I would do CRNA if you can tolerate being in anesthesia for the long haul. They make bank, have easy hours, and the responsibility for malpractice falls on the attending physician, not them. It's pretty cush.

I'd do PA if that doesn't sound good.

Medical school is something I wouldn't use as a back-up plan. It just takes too long. I'd wait til I was sure before committing to it, but I would make sure I was d&^% sure before starting. It's a serious commitment, and if you aren't sure you want to do it - well, I wouldn't.

More
8 years 2 months ago #80530 by residentmom
An RN and an MD are vastly different in terms of responsibilities, duties, and of course training. I would strongly encourage you to visit some medical settings so you can appreciate that these are not interchangeable goals. Also I would plan to major in *something* just so that you show you have the drive to complete a designated course of study... and so you can get a job if needed. :)

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
8 years 2 months ago #80544 by doctorparn
Well I'm getting my undergrad in philosophy because I know I want to work in healthcare regardless and the study of ethics/dying/cultural views on illness, death, etc will be very complimentary.

I'm going to go for my RN and take it from there. In fact right now during my undergrad I'm actually going to go for my CNA and take it from there lol :)

Thanks ladies.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!