× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

Decisions, decisions

More
8 years 2 months ago #80717 by BuckeyeGirl
Hello! I completed my undergrad in spring, turned in my AMCAS, and am working on my AACOMAS right now.

Although I went ahead to take the steps to apply, I am really concerned about my indecisiveness and love of the rest of life. When I got MCAT scores back this spring (from the second time), and found out I went down, I had a huge crisis of commitment. Thinking about not getting in, maybe taking another year, maybe doing post-bac and taking out a ton of loans even before I got to med school...this prospect didn't excite me. The physician satisfaction poll on this site really scared me. I went as far as to seriously consider nursing for the first time. I know that there are plenty of options for ambition and autonomy in nursing.

I've always been non-committal. I decided to apply originally when I paid for an MCAT class--so much investment. Ever since I started applying I've been sold, but what happens when I hit another road block?

It would be hard for anyone to give me advice on my specific level of commitment, but it would be helpful to hear for those of you who regret the sacrifices, what would you go back and do? NP, RN, PA? And for those of you who don't, what is it about the MD that you wouldn't trade anything for?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #80723 by Melbelle
As a medical student, I can tell you that this is no fun. Rumor is residency is worse. I am on a two-month break between first and second years, and as I start to feel sane again, it is so tempting to not go back - and I love the field and spent years deciding on it. I would not recommend anyone do this unless you are absolutely sure that medicine is what you want to do for the rest of your life. Taking a year to do something else and mull over your life plans will almost certainly benefit you.

More
8 years 2 months ago #80737 by 555
I was in the same predicament as you not too long ago. I decided on pursuing the midlevel route (PA or NP) after having applied to med school this past cycle. I realized what I wanted most out of a career and I was found that I would be completely happy not being a DR but still working in medicine. Let me know if you'd like any more suggestions or personal feedback since I was you just last year :)

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!