× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

PA or DO ????

More
7 years 8 months ago #84313 by modernFamily
I always wanted to be a Doctor, but life got in the way.....
Fast forward.....
Now at 42 divorced, remarried, & with twelve year old son (Manny).
I am a full time student at a state college in my Junior year of a Biology major and have managed to keep a 3.7 GPA. My original plan was PA school because of
1) my age
2) not wanting to do the extra 3 years of residency after med school
3) not wanting to take on such big debt so late in my life.
But now after a friend of mine who was a PA for 7 years decided to go back to school and do the few pre-reqs she needed for med school, took the MCAT and got ACCEPTED at 38 ......( I'm so jealous :blush:)
am starting to ask my self why not ??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #84325 by niash
I started medicine at 41. I already had education and a strong career before that. My advice is- you will probably get into a DO school but be aware that med schools are very competitive now and the younger people will always have an advantage. They simply learn things faster. Also, they don't necessarily want to study with you or be friends with you. Could be because they don't want to feel like they are with their parents all over again. This will affect your performance in the class because they may not share study aids and resources with you. Take all this into consideration and make your decision.
Good luck!

More
7 years 8 months ago #84326 by Doc201X
Niash, can you post a link to a study which shows that young people learn faster? Because I have NEVER heard that before and I used I teach at the high school and college level.

Clearly, I don't speak for everyone, but my learning has actually improved as I've aged and the old premed website tells me I'm not alone in realizing this.

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
7 years 8 months ago #84330 by niash
Everything I wrote is from my own experience of being in med school.

More
7 years 8 months ago #84335 by Doc201X
I seriously doubt there's publishable data which substantiates the assertion that young people "learn faster". Of course, this also depends of the ages of those involved. An 8 year old probably does a TON of things faster than an 80 year old, lol!!! So since we're citing unreliable sources as proof, I'll offer myworn as person who has taked 10 or so classes WITH med students.

I "set the curve" in my Cell Bio, Histo, and Path, courses and while one of the "older" students in my Molecular Bio course DID flunk, so did 3 others in their 20's. I also performed above average in all the others, as a person 15+ years older than the average student.

OP, don't worry about who learns fastest when you matriculated in school because students take and pass the exams at essentially the SAME rate. And THAT is what counts most!

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
7 years 8 months ago #84341 by AmmaMD
@Path201X - are you kidding? Type "age" and "learning" into google scholar, and like 100y of research on this will pop up! You can dispute whatever of it you'd like, but publishable it's clearly been....

Which is not to say I don't think older individuals can't be stellar scholars/students. Arguing that it's because there's no publishable research on it, though, is like arguing there's no point trying to change your diet to improve your health because there's nothing yet published on the subject!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!