× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

PA or DO ????

More
7 years 7 months ago #84352 by Doc201X
Anna, why must you take it there? And publishable data about whom? It's so NOT about denial, it's about PROOF because I haven't seen or heard of a study which speaks to the learning "deficiencies" of OLDER MED STUDENTS versus younger ones. So, can we PLEASE stay on topic? I also can't recall ANYONE on the oldpremeds EVER discussing it.

Older med students tend to have that extra sumthin' sumthin' our younger classmates do NOT have as much and it's called M-O-T-I-V-A-T-I-O-N!!!!

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #84353 by **DONOTDELETE**
Here's a study from McGill I found in a google search:

ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/MED/9447210
Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by .

More
7 years 7 months ago #84354 by Doc201X
Talk about mixing apples and monkeys, lol!!

1) that study compares PREMED performance along with MEDICAL SCHOOL performance. I'm talking about MEDSTUDENT PERFORMANCE ONLY!!!!

1a) since you brought up this unrelated premed data, older students tend to have damage control to do which affects their overall GPA's, and MCATS. DUH!!!!

2) > 25 is considered old. WTF!!!!

3) show me the some data from a school like Hopkins or Harvard and then I'll believe it.

So I still wait on some real data with a good defintion of older students, > 30 at least.

Here's some unsubstantiated data: nontrad women are FAR less likely to quit medicine early/ mid career than our younger counter parts! So there!!

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #84356 by **DONOTDELETE**
I don't really have a horse in this race-I graduated from medical school over 15 years ago, and I don't have a strong opinion about this topic, but the study does talk about older medical student performance so I thought it might be of interest. I have no other agenda.

The study does look at the demographic of the older student applicant pool, but it also talks about the older students who were accepted and attended medical school at McGill.

"For older accepted students, basic science course scores* were lower than those of younger students, but clinical scores** did not differ significantly between the groups. The two groups had similar stress levels, although older students tested lower in driven behavior, relaxation potential, attitude posture, and hostility. In focus groups, the older students spoke of learning style differences, loss of social support, and loss of professional identity."

*the first two years of medical school
**the third and fourth years

Looking at Harvard or Hopkins students wouldn't be as helpful because the students at those schools are not representative of medical students overall. They tend to be a super-select bunch. McGill is a very good medical school but not quite as selective so the students there may be more representative of med students in general.

But no one is saying anything about any one person's ability to perform in medical school.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #84357 by **DONOTDELETE**

Path201X wrote: Anna, why must you take it there? And publishable data about whom? It's so NOT about denial, it's about PROOF because I haven't seen or heard of a study which speaks to the learning "deficiencies" of OLDER MED STUDENTS versus younger ones. So, can we PLEASE stay on topic? I also can't recall ANYONE on the oldpremeds EVER discussing it.

Older med students tend to have that extra sumthin' sumthin' our younger classmates do NOT have as much and it's called M-O-T-I-V-A-T-I-O-N!!!!

Path, do you have a study showing that older students are more motivated than younger students?

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #84359 by lolaMD
Motivation is dependent on many factors, not just age. I have seen highly motivated (and not so motivated) classmates on both ends of the age spectrum. The distribution of students whom left my class to pursue other careers ranged from 22-43 years of age, and each had their individual reasons for this decision.

OP: Think about what are the most important factors to your happiness in a medical career. As you noted, the road to becoming a doctor is costly in time, energy, and finances. Make sure that your reasons for wanting to become a doctor vs. PA would outweigh these factors. Maybe speak to your friend whom was just accepted to medical school about the factors that pushed her towards medical school. Also, I would recommend looking through some of the great threads that have been posted on here in the premed section like this one (particularly the posts from nontrad grads like Katie DO and SW to MD): www.mommd.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topic...o_it_again#Post32899
It is helpful to know there are lots of nontraditional grads out there and you are not alone.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!