× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

Moving for school, residency, internship, etc.

More
6 years 9 months ago #87656 by nktoro
Hi everyone,

I have a question about the possibility of staying in the same general area (New York, Tri-State area) while pursuing medical school. I am going to apply for a post-bac program to complete my requirements to enter med school here in NYC.

Point being that my husband - who is very supportive, thank goodness - will be based out of New York for quite some time and there's really no getting around that as he is a musician and this is pretty much the best place to be for his area of work.

I'm wondering what the feasibility is of staying in the general tri-state area for my med school career and thereafter. Does anyone have any experience with staying in the same location for med school, residency and internship?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #87658 by annie501
If you want to stay in NYC, then only apply places in NYC. It may take longer to get into school, you may not get to go into the specialty you choose, and it may be more difficult to get the kind of work you want when you finish, but if location is your priority, then you can certainly make it happen. Lots of people do.

More
6 years 9 months ago #87659 by Doc201X
I know of a woman who went to med school VERY late (age 48) and was able to stay in metro DC for med school, internship, and residency. And with there being 6 schools within 1.5 hours of her home, it was very doable.

It seems to be that given all the choices in the tri-state NY area for both MD and DO, it should be even easier for you to do the same. But start networking at those schools now so they'll know who your are by the time you apply.

Good luck!

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
6 years 9 months ago #87664 by nktoro
Thanks to both of you! I took a look at the school listings in the area and I'm feeling confident about it. I'm not sure how far away my husband is willing to move, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Thanks again!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!