× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

Feeling like I lost my way... HELP!

More
6 years 5 months ago #89550 by jadetx
Hi all. I'm glad I've stumbled onto your site. So here's my deal. I want ultimately to be either a D.O.N.D. or an M.D.N.D. I applied for med school several years ago around the time I graduated college but didn't get in, then shortly afterward, my marriage fell apart and I had to get a job and take care of my kids. Hence, plan B - Chemist. It paid the bills and I got them raised. But during all that time, I was only able to take a few classes to further my goals. So the goals were put on the back burner. And stayed there for a while. I'm about to be 44 now, my kids are grown and doing their own things, and I fear I'm almost too old to try, but I have to give it at least one more shot. I can think of nothing else I want to do with the rest of my life career-wise where I'll be truly happy. My BIG question is how to get there -- into medical school, that is. At my age, it will be very hard, and I need all the leverage I can get. I've considered segwaying into a Med Tech career since my chemical and analytical skills won't be wasted that way and I will at least make enough $$ to pay my debts and living expenses while working toward my ultimate goal, but I also miss working with people. So, I'm also considering nursing. In my line of work, I rarely see any faces other than the handful I work with on a daily basis, and I'm more of a people person than that. Yet I also enjoy what I do to a degree - the science part of it. There are pros and cons with either choice - Med Tech or Nurse. Ultimately, I'd like to choose the one that I will be happy with if I don't get in med school initially (which, considering the steep competition and standards, is a strong possibility). But I also want to choose one that has a better track record of getting a person into med school. I would also consider other options, but haven't been able to come up with any. I draw blanks. My BS was in 1998. I would like to get into med school within the next 4-5 years. Any ideas? I'm welcome to all. :)

Jade

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #89639 by Doc201X
Jade, if you want a more active premed board for middle aged premeds, I'd suggest you check the oldpremeds website, a Mommd partner.

I post there as pathdr2b.

Good luck and hope to see you there soon!

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!