× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

I need advice on declaring a major/minor...

More
6 years 1 month ago #90510 by carolineryan
Hello,

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct section so I apologize in advance. I am currently entering my freshman year at college and I eventually hope to attend a medical school and one day become a psychiatrist. Currently, I have decided on a major in biology and a minor in psychology (which I feel will be the best at preparing me.) However, I have been told it may be better to major in psychology and minor in biology due to my weakness in math (and of course, the biology major requires me to take math courses all the way to Calculus 3!) I am really confused what to do now, so I have resorted to posting my concern here; please let me know what you all think.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #90511 by southernmd
I can tell you with 100% certainty that it DOES NOT MATTER which you pick. What DOES MATTER is which is more interesting to you. Fulfill the med school prereqs that allow you to sit for the MCAT and apply to med school. And study whatever you like during college.

Get the highest GPA you can. I can tell you also with 100% certainty that it also does matter what medical school you go to - the higher your grades, the more options you will have. I went to a lesser known medical school, and I feel like I had to work harder and be better than many other peers of mine from Ivy or other med schools to get into the type of residency I did. If you want options - choose the premed major that allows you to apply with confidence and a great GPA knowing you enjoyed and performed well in what you loved in college.

Becoming a psychiatrist has absolutely zilch to do with your undergrad - if you love psychology - study that in undergrad. Major and minor do not matter. I promise.

More
6 years 1 month ago #90513 by carolineryan
Thanks so much for your advice. I think I will change my major to psychology; I feel like I can do really well with that major. Guess I'll just have to take extra courses to meet the pre-reqs!

More
6 years 1 month ago #90632 by tizziea
Don't stress the decision about your major. In my experience they look more at what you've done all around versus what you did with your education alone. So many people come in with high GPAs and science backgrounds that it helps to have something that is unique and stands out. Personally I have a Spanish major and biology and chemistry minors. I share in your hatred of math and the path I've taken has worked out great for me - I was able to live abroad for a year and travel while still getting a strong science background. Plus during my med school interviews it gave me something to talk about!

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #90705 by Obver
As southernmd said, go to which is more interesting to you, make you comfortable and enjoy working.

More
5 years 11 months ago #91077 by jps1206
I will be a college freshman in Fall 2014 and trying to decide on a major for my college applications. Ultimately I would like to enter medical college and be a surgeon. I am trying to decide whether I should have a biochemistry major or an engineering major. I understand that a biochemistry major is the more straight forward way to prepare for medical school. But I do like engineering and am pretty good at math and physics. My question is this - if I am willing to put in extra effort, will an engineering major (electrical or mechanical)improve my chances of getting into one of the top medical schools?

I willl really appreciate your advice because I am having a tough time deciding.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!