× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

Can I make it to med school...?

More
6 years 1 month ago #90579 by carolineryan
Hello all,

I was wondering if I had what it takes to pass the MCAT, make it to med school, etc. if I am not strong in math. Math is probably my weakest subject, but I know that it is considered "the language of science" and that concerns me. I am afraid I will not be able to accomplish my goal of becoming a psychiatrist because of this weakness. What do you all think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #90589 by Popcorn
Actually, medicine isn't terribly math-driven. You need to be able to understand statistics, but it certainly isn't engineering.

I joke because I have PharmDs to do my math for me. I survived calculus, but haven't ever needed it. Chemistry is far more important.

More
6 years 1 month ago #90600 by carolineryan
That makes me feel better. :-) Thank-you for letting me know.

More
6 years 1 month ago #90627 by Melbelle
I second what Popcorn said. If you can do enough math to pass chemistry and physics (typically using it in a practical and predictable setting), you'll be fine.

More
6 years 1 month ago #90628 by Emily2651
I use more math than most docs. I'm a nephrologist and do clinical epidemiology and outcomes research using large datasets/statistical programming/modeling. But it's a rare day when I give even a passing thought to calculus. There just isn't that much math involved in the day-to-day of being a doctor. As a clinician, the toughest it gets is arithmetic, honestly.

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea. -- Isak Dinesen
Last Edit: by .

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #91087 by Ari Butterly
Advertising not allowed in forum. Sorry.
Last Edit: 5 years 11 months ago by .

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.303 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!