× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

Can I make it to med school...?

More
5 years 11 months ago #91104 by PharmDtoMD
As a pharmacist, it is funny to see this:

1 po bid x 10 days
dispense qs

Really? Couldn't have just said dispense 20 ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #91114 by Popcorn
Yeah, well, some of us are worse at math than others!

More
5 years 11 months ago #91115 by AmmaMD
but every time I actually calculate it out and put anything specific about the number of tabs, it turns out they're using 100's when I'm giving a 50mg dose and asking the pt to split them, and everything ends up horribly confused. so I always put the fewest pre-calculated numbers in possible =)

More
5 years 11 months ago #91117 by tizziea
If you're still an undergrad I would recommend exploring your interests and (perhaps) not majoring in a science. Choose something that you really enjoy and want to be learning about until you get to medical school when everything becomes science based. You can always pick up minors in science related fields and still complete your pre-med coursework without the stress of taking high level math classes and still being prepared for the MCAT

More
5 years 10 months ago #91378 by Cabinbuilder
I hate math, it's not logical to me. I struggled in college tremendously because my high school math courses were broken up when I went overseas for a year.

I was able to get through the basics but got a tutor in college for the calculus class and took it by correspondence since the pace was slower.

I took algebra bases physics and had a very patient instructor who tried to do short cuts in the process and I explained that I needed the long version of the problem solving steps and he happily complied. Spent many nights late getting help and had a great study partner.

No really math in day to day medicine except doing dosing of meds for pediatrics. Anymore the computer does it for you.

LECOM Class 2006
Osteopathic Family Practice Resdincy 2009
Locum Tenens: Urgent Care/Rural Medicine.

More
5 years 9 months ago #91383 by niash
All they cared about in med school was rote memorization (sadly). If you are good at that, you are good to go. No need to even know the basic math.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!