× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

Please tell me the truth.

More
5 years 11 months ago #91091 by Javas9410
I just need to know if its possible to go through all the schooling and training to be a doctor and still be a part of my toddlers' lives. I have been so torn over this for years but have never been able to find a place like this until now. Please; is it possible to do this???

Thank you to anyone who replies. I appreciate all the input I can get!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #91092 by rl
I'm sorry to be negative, but no, you will not still be a meaningful part of your toddlers lives through schooling and training to be a doctor. The time commitments preclude that, if you want to be present in a meaningful way in their lives. Not to mention the toll it takes on you.

More
5 years 11 months ago #91093 by Javas9410
Thank you. I really appreciate hearing it from someone who really knows.

More
5 years 11 months ago #91094 by southernmd
I disagree - I am present in a meaningful way in my toddler's life, and I had him second year of medical school, and I am now an intern. Despite the challenging schedules, and the q 4 30 hour call in school, and the bizarre flip flopping schedule of intern year - we have made it work, and my child and I are quite close. Now, I do this in lieu of working out or much else on the tough schedule times, but that is totally ok with me. I am more than happy to have my life consumed by medicine and child on the really tough months, because I can fit a little more in on the not so tough months. My son knows I am mommy, and we very much have a meaningful relationship.

More
5 years 11 months ago #91095 by southernmd
oh and I'm in a "hard" intern year - not a cush TY.

More
5 years 11 months ago #91096 by newmommdphd
It depends. How do you define "be a part of my toddlers' lives?" Do you mean go to all the school field trips, see teachers every day, bathe them and put them to bed every night? Then no, you can't. If you mean, be present in their lives, put them to bed some nights but not all, and have them know you are mom? Then yes. It all depends on your standard of involvement. I am very involved in my son's life, in fact - I am the primary parent, as my husband is in medicine also. But we have 2 nannies, grandmothers, and a preschool helping to raise him. It's a team effort. I lead the team, but I am not home to put him to bed every night and I don't attend all doctors' visits or parent-teacher conferences - our nanny does that and I join in by phone when I can. It depends on where you are willing to compromise.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!