× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

Medical school with no family support?

More
5 years 11 months ago #91173 by JRick
I am essentially a single mom during the weeks, as my husband travels for work. I have no family members in my area or friends that I can rely on for aid with my 7 month old boy. I just finished applying to med school for September 2014. I am not even sure if I will be accepted, but I am afraid that if I am I will not be prepared when it comes to finding care for my son. I have no idea what to do. Daycare is only good until 5 pm. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? What have you done? Any advice please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #91174 by newmommdphd
Nanny. 2 of them (40 hrs each) to cover the 80 hour work week of a third year med student. And then studying the extra 10-20 hours per week at night when kid was sleeping - he had a 7pm bedtime and I studied till 10pm most nights. Went into more debt to afford the nannies, it gave me precious peace of mind.
Last Edit: 5 years 11 months ago by .

More
5 years 9 months ago #91400 by OHM77
Medical schools are different but it seems most have class attendance optional for the first years. For my school some students only came to class for test and other required activities and would study and watch lectures on their own. I finally wised up to this and started doing the same. I live a medium sized city and we have daycares that are open from 6 to 6, so I'm surprised you don't have any like that.

But I agree with newmommdphd nannies are invaluable, I finally broke down and got one towards the end of my 3rd year and it was super helpful.

Realizing the dream I deferred.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!