× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

RN to MD? Thoughts please.

More
5 years 6 months ago #92403 by Nurse
Hi all,
I am relieved to have found this forum! I have spoken to very few people about my thoughts of going into medicine. I am a new RN, less than a year under my belt working at a rural hospital that I applied to so that i would get ER experience right away. I have really enjoyed my work and love working in healthcare, but often think I would like to do more. I see expert nurses who have 10-15 years experience and all I can think is "wow that must be frustrating to know as much as you do and not be making the decisions".

So for background: I'm 25 and single. I don't have the science pre-reqs so I'm looking at 2 years of science catch up before applying to med school. I feel like this is a huge decision as a woman! I'm looking at a minimum of 8 years (if I got in on the first try and did gp), so it's making me shake in my boots!! I have been thinking about this on and off for 2 years and can't shake the feeling that I will regret it if I don't give this some pretty serious consideration.

Sorry this is so long! Pretty much I'm looking for thoughts, pros/cons, tips, cautions, etc. lay it on me! Thanks very much ladies, looking forward to reading your thoughts. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #92409 by niash
You could just do a DNP ;)
j/k You are 25, energetic. I would say go for it!

More
5 years 6 months ago #92418 by lyn2006
I would do it if you won't be happy being a nurse, and even though niash is joking above maybe NP is an easier way to get to a job where you can make more decisions. Especially if you're considering going to med school to do family med - being an NP in family med could be a good alternative with fewer years of training, less debt, and potentially fewer hours you have to work per week. If I were in your situation with your interests that is probably what I would do but I'm looking back with 2 young kids and thinking that if I was an NP and not a resident I would probably see them a lot more :)

More
5 years 6 months ago #92465 by Nurse
Thanks for the thoughts!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!