× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

My short-lived med-school dream

More
5 years 5 months ago #92702 by Freedom00
Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance for reading this post.

I am 27 years old, and I am just recovering from one of the most anxiety-filled times of my life. I wanted to share and receive some insight, if possible.

Since college, I have worked in education, both in teaching and consulting. For the past few years, the thought of pursuing medicine came and went sporadically, but it wasn't until last year that I rallied up my courage to actually apply to post-bacc programs to fulfill pre-med courses.

During this period of preparation, I spent some weeks volunteering at the hospital and speaking with several physicians. There were days when I truly felt that this was a calling.

Then, around Christmas, I had a huge meltdown. It was a combination of fear and self-doubt. The financial, emotional, and time commitment seemed very heavy, and I guess I could no longer suppress those negative thoughts. With just one application (out of 6 I was planning on) in, I broke down completely.

I also told my loving family about how it all went unraveling. My parents and brother were concerned about my well-being and suggested that I let go. Surprisingly, hearing this from my loved ones was a huge relief. After weeks of agonizing again, I somehow decided that pursuing a career that causes a meltdown even before its very initial stage is probably a bad idea.

Then came the acceptance letter from a very good post-bacc program that I had applied to. It was the best program I had hoped to get in, with linkages to multiple medical schools. I was humbled by the news, but also felt extremely unsettled. I had already decided to let go of this, and it got me thinking again and again.

In the end, I declined the offer. With a hint of "what if?" I did feel 100x lighter and freer after, though. It's been about two months, and I'm still dealing with the "what if's" from time to time.

Some days I am very glad that I had the breakdown. I tend to live in my thoughts and ideals, and I think it's very good that the reality of medical training entered my head early on. But some days, I wonder if I let my self-doubt grow out of proportion and made a mistake of turning such a wonderful offer down. I guess in the end, it just comes down to the attitude :)

Anyhow, I just wanted to share that journey with you. I would love to hear any comments, good or bad. I never knew I would go through such bad breakdowns at age 27. And I'm very glad to have found this forum to share my experience.

I hope I don't regret this decision and experience later down the road! (I'll make sure I won't.) :)

Thank you for reading!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #94039 by Crna2md/do
I too had a similar zen moment when I was at peace with idea of not pursuing med school. But when I would work with some Docs, it would bring me back to my previous goals. Hey listen it took me about 6-8 yrs to get my Anesthesia Masters that was my mini med school & I still want to go back and willing to put my family through the ringer b/c I KNOW that I will make an amazing Doc someday. I always tell the nurses I work with to not look at the overall time commitment b/c you will tabulate and ponder too much on "OMG its 4 to 8 yrs of my life" vs thinking about all the great stuff you will learn. Look, did you make a wrong move on not accepting, I cannot say that for sure but what I do know is that if you have nagging thoughts now you will later on. However if you have found your Zen place then kick that monkey off your back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!