× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

Quit PA School?

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #94730 by Violet Rose
Hi everyone,

Ever since I can remember, I have always wanted to become a physician. In undergrad, I majored in biology, volunteered in a hospital, and was involved in several research opportunities. I took the MCAT after junior year and was dismayed at my low (but apparently average) score (26). Nevertheless, I graduated with an overall GPA of about 3.6 (from a competive university) and still had the desire to go to medical school. After graduating, I worked in several jobs in clinical research and in the emergency room.

At the time, I was discouraged by many people (family and physicians) from going the medical school route. After some situations in life and my own dismay/uncertainty about the physician profession, I decided to apply to PA school (although I was still uncertain). I ended up being rejected from most school I applied to.

Then, about a month before one of the PA schools I applied to was about to start, I received a phone call that I was accepted from the wait list. Initially, I was reluctant, but with a lot of persuasion from family and friends, I decided to quit my job to attend. Very soon after I did this, I started having doubts and really questioned my decision. I spoke with family and friends about this, but they reassured me that I was just having anxiety about taking a new step.

Fast forward about a month later, I have matriculated to the PA school, but I am still having doubts about this profession. This really concerns me considering the amount of loans I will be taking out (over $100,000). I still have a desire to go to medical school and am afraid that I have made a mistake by accepting the invitation so much so that I am even considering withdrawing from this school and applying to medical school.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Should I just stay and see what happens or should I leave, get a job (I know this will be hard in this economy), shadow more MDs/DOs/PAs/other professionals, and retake the MCAT, and maybe reapply to medical school? I do feel really bad for taking a seat for someone who might be much more passionate about this profession and I do wish I thought it through more. Any advice would be appreciated. By the way, I am currently in the age range of 23-26 and am single.
Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #94733 by Doc201X
I think you should finish for a couple reasons:

1) Med schools like to see applicants start what they finish.

2) Only about 50% of applicants are accepted to med school and if you're one of the many applicants that has to apply more than once, you'll have a significantly fantastic "fall back" career until you are admitted.

3) Assuming your BS is in a science field, the job market for folks with BS degrees is the worst I've seen in 20+ years. As a PA you'll be in demand and will make great money to boot!

In your age range, you're probably a little concerned about marriage, kids, ect, but don't worry about any of that. Just live your life and those things will happen when they happen, enjoy being single, having to only be responsible for yourself, and enjoy the opportunity to be in a great professional field, the field of medicine!!!

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
5 years 1 month ago #94734 by Violet Rose
Doc201X,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. After much thought, I believe that is probably the best step to take in this position. I still kinda wish I didn't rush in making this decision. Oh well, I guess that's hindsight.

Thanks again!

More
5 years 1 month ago #94736 by Doc201X

Violet Rose wrote: Doc201X,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. After much thought, I believe that is probably the best step to take in this position. I still kinda wish I didn't rush in making this decision. Oh well, I guess that's hindsight.

Thanks again!

You're quite welcome!

I rarely speak about this, but when I was around your age and before I was accepted to med school many years ago (and tuurned it down for personal reasons), I was offered the opportunity to be in the inaugural class of PA students at a major university. But I let a close relative who has NEVER been a positive advocate in my life, talk me out of it.

Of all the academic/professional decisions I've made in my life, not attending PA school is the ONE I would LOVE a "do-over" for because it would have been a fantastic profession to be in until I was ready to attend medical school.

Good luck!

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
4 years 5 months ago #95780 by Aliraza70
I am currently looking into shadowing physicians and PAs but would love to hear any thoughts you ladies have on MD vs PA.????

More
4 years 5 months ago #95781 by efex101
PA, MD is IMHO at this point not worth it as midlevels take over some aspects of medicine. Less time, less litigation and the ability to change tracks is what PA would bring.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!