× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

Dilemma between baby No. 3 and med school

More
4 years 4 months ago #95699 by MomAfrique
Hello everyone!
I am a 34 year old working mother of two (3.5 year old and 14 month old) and I have been considering applying to medical school for years. I did apply to one university in 2012 and got an interview but was wait-listed post interview. My husband is 100% behind me on pursuing medicine!
Our current dilemma however is that we have started considering having a third child. We thought we were done at two kids but we both love being parents (despite its challenges!). Would it make more sense to have our third baby before medical school or just focus on getting in first, then have the baby at some point in medical school? I would prefer to have the baby first but am concerned my age may become an issue for admissions committees. Either way, age is a bit of an issue if we decide to delay baby no. 3 instead.
I would really appreciate your feedback and advice on this. Thanks in advance!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #95700 by niash
I started when my baby was 2. I delayed med school by a year so I could spend time with him. I considered having a second baby vs. med school, not doing both. Personally, I could not have handled it very well. I started med school at 41 just to put it in the context. Even an IM/FM residency takes a tremedous time away from your family (in decent places that offer good training) so, I suggest you take a second look at your priorities and re-evaluate. I realize everyone is different but life is too short to miss out time with your children, IMHO. PMR and PSych tend to be lower hours after internship yr so perhaps you could consider those, if you are interested in them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MomAfrique

More
4 years 4 months ago #95703 by MomAfrique
Thanks Niash for the feedback. The time away from my family is certainly a huge concern for me and is one of the main reasons I have flip-flopped over my decision to pursue medicine. When it comes to residency, I am very interested in family medicine (which is 2 years in Canada). From talking to people, reading books and researching online, residency does sound brutal but I am just wondering if one can look at it as something you just have to endure for 2 years (for FM)and then things will get better in terms of schedule. So yes, I may be away a lot for 2 years but I would have more control over schedules and how I want to practice after that? My husband was also suggesting that he could be bringing the kids to the hospital to see me during residency, and that it would be something exciting and inspiring for them. I could be naïve and idealistic about all this so I just want to have an idea from people who have been through residency and practising now. (I do have several doctors in my family but they are all males so it is not quite the same as the mummy being away from home a lot). Thanks!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!