× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

UCD grad with family concerns- NP or MD?

More
16 years 4 weeks ago #58123 by marycc
PremedRN- I think it's absolutely AMAZING what you're doing and I cannot stress enough how inspiring you are- I am so glad you're following your dream despite what it sounds like have been some tough road blocks! I can tell you will be a pretty amazing doctor with the attitude you have.

Just curious, is there anything you've seen in the medical field that's driving you to med school (any strong factor besides your dream to always be a doctor)? What do you find fulfilling about being a doctor that you would not get as an RN or NP? What finally made you say that being an RN wasn't where you wanted to be? Responsiblity level? Control? Just curious what the strongest factors were for you personally- even if it's something you've always wanted, you must have seen things as am RN that pushed you to finally saying, "this is what I am going to do now, it's what I always wanted." I ask these questions since your comment, "working around hospital confirmed that my dreams were a reality" implies there were important things you saw in the hospital that made you realize you were better fit to be an MD. Thank you SO much for your invaluable information, advice, and inspiration.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 weeks ago #58124 by PremedRN
Marycc,
Oh thanks, that makes me feel really good! I have been a RN for 5 years. What strongly made me to decide medicine finally, was there were countless times, when Im with patients at night and things would happen (symptoms, if you will) and I would call the doc and tell him or her what I thought was happening, of course, being that Im a RN not a MD/DO a lot of the time my judgement was looked over, and in the long run I was right, while the patient could have been treated sooner. This bothers me, because I cant do anything but sit on it. Now, this doesn't happen ALL the time, but it has enough in the 5 years Ive been working. No offense to the docs, because sometimes nurses will do silly things and call for BS that could have waited, then you too, have your overly worried nurses who call for everything and wont be anything. I think this makes it harder for the docs to trust another nurse's instinct.
I also hunger for more knowlege, I love it when the teaching docs sit with me at the computer looking at lab values and ask me what's happening, yum, yum. Not that I know, but they are trying to learn me. When things are happening to patients that I dont know the treatments, I yearn to know more, to learn more. I see the compassionate docs, have learned to be a doc, like a nurse, is treating the whole person, in their everday lives, as inpatient, and at discharge and beyond. I want to become a doctor, I plan on helping the indigent who cant afford healthcare, I want to show my community despite the despairs life sometimes may bring, they too can have a dream and be successful, be a doctor, lawyer, or anything they desire. Because when you grow up like I did, you just fantasize thinking it is unacertainable. Im going to take a hungry, poor, undirected child by his or her hand and show mercy, opportunity, and success.
I promised myself after nursing school, if I ever went back to school, it would be to fulfill my long, lost dream. That is why Im not doing the NP. Graduate school costs A LOT of money, and so does med school, but debt to income make me push more toward the MD/DO. I plan on coming back to my home town after Im done, and the NP's here make about 60,000. I plan, if accepted into my state's school, to sign a contract with a health network, who will pay for med school if I work 3 years after. Part of that network is in my hometown. That is my plan, anyway. Hope it falls through. And who knows, maybe I will regret later on for not doing the NP, I dont think so, but that's the chance I have to take.
Sorry for the long post!
--Dana

More
16 years 4 weeks ago #58125 by PremedRN
Marycc,
Oh thanks, that makes me feel really good! I have been a RN for 5 years. What strongly made me to decide medicine finally, was there were countless times, when Im with patients at night and things would happen (symptoms, if you will) and I would call the doc and tell him or her what I thought was happening, of course, being that Im a RN not a MD/DO a lot of the time my judgement was looked over, and in the long run I was right, while the patient could have been treated sooner. This bothers me, because I cant do anything but sit on it. Now, this doesn't happen ALL the time, but it has enough in the 5 years Ive been working. No offense to the docs, because sometimes nurses will do silly things and call for BS that could have waited, then you too, have your overly worried nurses who call for everything and wont be anything. I think this makes it harder for the docs to trust another nurse's instinct.
I also hunger for more knowlege, I love it when the teaching docs sit with me at the computer looking at lab values and ask me what's happening, yum, yum. Not that I know, but they are trying to learn me. When things are happening to patients that I dont know the treatments, I yearn to know more, to learn more. I see the compassionate docs, have learned to be a doc, like a nurse, is treating the whole person, in their everday lives, as inpatient, and at discharge and beyond. I want to become a doctor, I plan on helping the indigent who cant afford healthcare, I want to show my community despite the despairs life sometimes may bring, they too can have a dream and be successful, be a doctor, lawyer, or anything they desire. Because when you grow up like I did, you just fantasize thinking it is unacertainable. Im going to take a hungry, poor, undirected child by his or her hand and show mercy, opportunity, and success.
I promised myself after nursing school, if I ever went back to school, it would be to fulfill my long, lost dream. That is why Im not doing the NP. Graduate school costs A LOT of money, and so does med school, but debt to income make me push more toward the MD/DO. I plan on coming back to my home town after Im done, and the NP's here make about 60,000. I plan, if accepted into my state's school, to sign a contract with a health network, who will pay for med school if I work 3 years after. Part of that network is in my hometown. That is my plan, anyway. Hope it falls through. And who knows, maybe I will regret later on for not doing the NP, I dont think so, but that's the chance I have to take.
Sorry for the long post!
--Dana

More
16 years 4 weeks ago #58126 by PremedRN
Oooooops!

More
16 years 4 weeks ago #58127 by Kate_dup1
When I was an intern I read a book that was very interesting. It had something to do with explaining the personality of doctors. Back then and now, I quickly realized that to be a doctor the monetary compensation was not nearly enough. In fact, you couldn't pay me enough to be a doctor against my will. It is because of the position doctors are given in society and the sheer responsibility that we have to our patients that seemed overwhelming to me as a young intern.

Back to my original point, the book, which I think was about marriage and being a doctor, explored and seemed to explain reasons why someone would put themselves through the grueling task of med school. It invariably had to do with a self fulfillment, which when you think about it is true of almost any good deed. Do you stop on the side of the road to help out a stranded old lady just to help out or is it because you couldn't bare the guilt if you drove past her? Or is it because you want to feel good about yourself?

It sounds like with what you want to do, med school would be better suited to you. I can't speak for the nurses and why they chose their route. To me, they are a wealth of knowledge. They see things from a different perspective sometimes. And they certainly helped me out when I was an intern...where would I be without them, especially in the ICU or CCU? Nurses educated me too. Even the occasional call at 2 am to say so and so's temperature was 98.7 made me think..."Okay, what did I do or say today to deserve that call?" In one way or another I was learning.

More
16 years 4 weeks ago #58128 by M-A
Hi Dana,

I just wanted to say good luck to you, you really sound like your heart is in it and you have a great attitude. :yes: It also sounds like you've had to struggle and I can sympathize! I hope to be on my way to becoming a doctor soon...just need to figure out the finances first. :banghead:

M-A

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!