× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

UCD grad with family concerns- NP or MD?

More
16 years 4 weeks ago #58129 by PremedRN
Thanks M-A! Kate, thanks for giving nurses credit, as a current nurse I appreciate it. Sometimes I see where some docs mistreat some of the nurses. I wonder sometimes if it is because they are overwhelmed with work and need someone to take it out on. Also, I have heard or got the impression that at different facilities the nurses mistreat the med students, could it be some form of later retaliation or just plain snootiness? Who knows, sometimes personalities just conflict. On the other hand, I know of some nurses who treat the nursing students kinda crappy. One particular nurse I observed doing this and decided later in the work week to bring up reasons why I believed some nurses mistreat nursing students. I talked about it having to do with insecurity and low self-esteem of their own trying to compensate for it by belittling others...I think after hearing this, she evaluated herself, and believe it or not, she has gotten much better. Okay, dont know exactly how I got to this subject, but somehow it sorta has.
---Dana

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 weeks ago #58130 by efex101
Dana, I know for a fact that I will depend/rely/seek the nurses input always. They will be my ears/eyes/hands when I am not there with a patient. I will seek them out like crazy during residency specially if they are anything like yourself (knowledgeable, passionate, and willing to help a resident with zero experience)...

More
16 years 4 weeks ago #58131 by PremedRN
Thanks Efex! And I want you to know, it seems not a day goes by that I dont think about what all you have accomplished with kids and the thought of doing it later did not stop you. It makes my dream feel soo close I could almost touch it! You given me advice, when I needed it and the thing I like most you are so straight forward, "real". So thankyou, for your aspirations, you are such a valuable resource!

And, everyone has to start somewhere, and you can believe I would never frown upon any question, or summons for help any learner may have whether it be for nursing, medicine, or what may have you. It just creates a more positive learning environment. I heard that when you are a med student/intern/resident there will be some pretty mean teachers during clinicals. Guess I will just have to suck it in, and keep reminding myself how ignorant,crude, and moronlike those I have witnessed doing this in the past. And to think people actually get some self fulfillment from doing this?! :boggled:

More
16 years 4 weeks ago #58132 by efex101
You know, you will have a huge leg up (any nurse will) on patient interaction and some of the everyday things like IV's ahhh I will have to learn from scratch although I do know how put in an IV yipee! from my Army days...

More
16 years 4 weeks ago #58133 by PremedRN
Hey, that's a plus, especially when you'll have to put in a femoral line! Nurses dont do that. You wont have to learn much more than you already do then, because for the most part the docs dont mess with the IV pumps. They tell or write for the nurse to increase/decrease the rate. Where you a medic in the army? Sorry for taking the stage from whoever intiated this post!

More
16 years 6 days ago #58134 by Marilyn
I am also still debating NP vs Med School. I have done a lot of research concerning NP and have talked to a few as well.

My only problem with going the NP route is there are a LOT of NP, the job market is somewhat saturated with them, some I have spoken to have not been able to find a job or are not making much more than an RN with a lot more responsibilities.

There are some good NP and some good info over on allnurses.com in the NP forum.

So any info you might have about NP I would be interested in as well since I am still trying to decide NP vs Physician. One thing that I dont like is as a NP I would be working under an MD/DO and I want to be in charge! LOL

Marilyn

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!