× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

Would it be too hard?

More
13 years 10 months ago #58729 by Frances Rivera
I am an Army wife mother of 2 (4&5). Currently I am about to finish my undergrad degree in Historical Studies and trying to complete the pre req's for med school as well. I also volunteer here on base and am an active Girl Scout mom. I have set my sites on the Uniformed Services University of Health Care. My main question is how hard would it be for me to make it in Med School. I've always been an average student, unlike my sisterwho just finished med school with a 4.0. So if anyone out there can help mw out please answer I am having serious doubts. The life of an Army wife is not easy but then again what is?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #58730 by efex101
I am not really sure what you are asking but if you are asking "can" you make it the answer is "how bad do you want it" meaning yes you can make it but it takes a lot of work and motivation to get to medical school..if you are asking can you make it as an Army wife well then that bring up other issues. Like can your husband get a military position where you will be attending medical school? is he ETS'ing? etc...because it all depends. Also, being an Army spouse with children and in medical school will be almost impossible unless you have family to help out. If your husband deploys and you are in medical school working your arse off who will be taking care of the kiddos? this is more applicable to third year while you are doing rotations...

More
13 years 10 months ago #58731 by Frances Rivera
That's why I am so hesitant. The deployment issue keeps going 'round and 'round in my head. He used to be nondeployable but in today's world that's more of a joke than a reality. His job is pretty good though (animal care spc). And he is thinking about Vet School. Thanks for posting your reply I hadn't considered having family around to help.

More
13 years 9 months ago #58732 by Sally
I believe in being optimistic but realistic. Average grades will make it hard (though not impossible, expecially if you have extenuating circumstances that you can explain)for you to be accepted into med school. Were you to start med school, you would be competing against a class of mostly overachievers who did well in college and may find it hard to keep up with the grueling pace. Your family situation would make it harder.

It may be worth considering other alternatives like nurse practitioner programs or PA school (though they are very competitive also).

If you have your heart set on medical school, I would suggest you formally meet with a premed advisor who can assess your complete situation and give you advice.

SKA, MD a former med school admissions committee member

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!