× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

foreign bachelors

More
13 years 5 months ago #58776 by alleycat
:wave:
Hi, I have an undergrad degree from a foreign country and the medical schools here do not accept those grades. My undergrad. GPA is 3.83 and I was a good student. Is is it adequate for me to take medical pre-reqs here (it would be approx. 54-60 credit hrs) and apply to the med. schools. I also have a Masters from a US university (GPA- 3.7). I intend to attend university for premed courses starting Fall 2006, give my MCAT in April 2007. I am currently working as the market manager for a health plan in Texas.

alleycat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #58777 by IsraeliGirl
Hi alleycat.
Most medical schools do accept foreign undergrad degrees. (in fact, I don't believe I ever encountered one that doesn't). It is true that they don't necessarily know what to make out of these grades, but they do accept them. All they ask is for you to study one year in the US. If you have a Master's degree from the US then you should be in a very good position

Good Luck!

More
13 years 5 months ago #58778 by XildUpNawth
:) When I saw the title of this post I thought it was going to be about mail-order husbands!

More
13 years 5 months ago #58779 by rianah100

Originally posted by IsraeliGirl:
Hi alleycat.
Most medical schools do accept foreign undergrad degrees. (in fact, I don't believe I ever encountered one that doesn't). It is true that they don't necessarily know what to make out of these grades, but they do accept them. All they ask is for you to study one year in the US. If you have a Master's degree from the US then you should be in a very good position

Good Luck!

That's what I thought until I started calling the universities. I definitely encountered schools that don't like foreign undergrads. Mayo is one of them. Just a heads up :boggled:

More
13 years 5 months ago #58780 by rianah100

Originally posted by XildUpNawth:
:) When I saw the title of this post I thought it was going to be about mail-order husbands!

yep, likewise :rotfl:

More
13 years 4 months ago #58781 by art
hi there,
I am in the same boat - have a undergrad from a foreign school and did my Masters in the US. Did your undergrad school provide a GPA on a 4.0 scale? Mine dosen't and I have no idea how to convert my grades into a 4.0 scale GPA!!. I called a couple of med-schools and they were mostly OK with having a undergrad degree from a foreign school.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!