× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

Class 2008, Married, Intermittent baby fever...

More
13 years 4 months ago #68568 by crabbygirl
That's as brief a synopsis as I can manage for myself. I am an M3, wrapping up my surgery rotation. I have to say that in the beginning I never thought I would see the end of this rotation. I am not cut-out for these 14 hour days of scutwork!! :tired:

Other than that, I am 24, and have been married since I was an M1. I caught the "baby fever" over the summer, and I can't seem to shake it. :p

I never thought I would want kids! I was a typical Type A perfectionist type in college. Then I met my husband and it changed everything. I have bounced along through medical school hoping to pass it all, not caring if I was in the top 10%. I first had a hard time with this new shift in priorities and fought it, but now I am content where I am. I will likely become a Psychiatrist - Child and Adolescent is the sub-specialty I am thinking.

But when to have a baby? I cannot seem to stop thinking about it - should I have one mid-fourth year and schedule my vacation around that time. Or take a year off before residency?
I have no idea.

If anyone has any advice, please PM me!! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #68569 by crabbygirl
One measly week left of surgery rotation. Thank the Lord, it will all be over.

I keep finding myself daydreaming of being able to have a baby and stay home with it for a few years. I am not sure that is feasible or even a good idea for us.
:confused:
Maybe once all this surgery craziness has passed, I will have more time to think about things.

More
13 years 4 months ago #68570 by crabbygirl
Today was an okay day. In the AM, the attending was a bit squirrelly in surgery clinic. The PM clinic was much better.
I truly enjoy outpatient clinic better than inpatient hospital work.
And children are more fun to see than adults.
Surgery is nearly over!!!! :D

More
13 years 4 months ago #68571 by crabbygirl
Today is a stressful one because my mom needs surgery. I am worried about that, and my exams coming up.
I trust that God will protect and heal my mother.

More
13 years 4 months ago #68572 by crabbygirl
My mom had her surgery today. They found the cause of her abdominal pain/extreme weight loss/malnutrition: she had an obstruction that was a tangled mess of bowel, adhesions, strictures, fibrosis, etc. The surgeon said he had never seen anything like it, nor someone in such bad shape. No one could help her for months, until this surgeon diagnosed her, and took her seriously.
It has been a real nightmare. My mom has beaten the odds at every turn. I thank God for that.
We had to leave the hospital because visiting hours were over. My mom still hadn't come out of her anesthesia and seemed scared and in pain. It was hard to leave her like that.
I am going to see her tomorrow, even if it means I miss one more day of my rotation. This is more important, and I care only about passing surgery.
I am exhausted. I have a test Thursday and one Friday. Just one more big effort, and this stressful week will be over!

One more random thought: while my mom was in surgery, I snuck over to look in the windows at the nursery in the hospital. I spiked a serious baby fever. :hyper:

More
13 years 4 months ago #68573 by crabbygirl
I called to check on my mom this morning, apparently, the nurses, in their incredible wisdom, decided not to give my mother her pain medication as ordered. My father had to ask them repeatedly. The doctor understands that besides having a 12 in incision, my mom has chronic pain due to an accident. So why can't they just follow the orders he wrote??
It took them 4 hours to get her PCA hooked up after her surgery. She was in a lot of pain. This is a small hospital, and they are not too adept with being efficient. They also made some incredibly rude and insensitive comments.
I will be so glad when she can finally leave the hospital. It has been two weeks already and it looks like she will have one more.

Sometimes the whole medical system makes me so frustrated that I wonder if I even want to be a part of it.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!