× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

Class 2008, Married, Intermittent baby fever...

More
13 years 3 months ago #68580 by crabbygirl
She had the subdural hematoma removed last night, and seemed to be better immediately after the surgery. She was smiling, sort of. And talking with us. During the short visit we had this morning, she was "konk-ed out" so to speak - I think the pain meds made her sleepy. Hopefully, she will be more lucid this afternoon.

I was so scared for her during her surgery - I still am afraid. I want her to be back to her normal self.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #68581 by crabbygirl
My mom may have had a small seizure earlier today - her face was twitching for a minute or so. She was getting an EEG when we left. The EEG tech was being really rough with her, and my mom was near tears. She was terrified because no one told her what was happening. I arrived to catch the end of this - where the tech was placing the electrodes near her incision.
Hopefully, my mom will do better once the pain meds wear off - she can talk and make sense, though her day/night thinking is off. That left arm is still not doing anything.
She has been through so much and came through it - I am sure she will come through this intact.

My dad is going to be off work next week,so he can stay with her in the hospital. Maybe I will not have to drop my internal medicine clerkship. I have only been to two days of it last week. If my mom is doing better, I will sit out of this rotation or work out something like that.

More
13 years 3 months ago #68582 by crabbygirl
So today was another long day at the hospital.
My mom was more alert today. She was advanced to a liquid diet, which she is tolerating well.
Her morphine is being decreased and she is getting percocet, so she was a bit more alert, too.

However, her left arm is still not moving or sensing much. The nurses have been completely awesome there, and have really been a great help. One of them was telling me my mom might need extensive rehab.
I am pretty sure the doctor said she would need outpatient rehab, but he seemed sure she would fully recover.

I do not feel comfortable letting her go back to our small hometown until she can be self-sufficient. I will sit out this rotation to take care of her if I need to. I do not feel safe just leaving her in the hospital alone.

More
13 years 3 months ago #68583 by crabbygirl
I set the wheels in motion to sit out for the next 7 weeks, and do my internal medicine rotation in my 4th year.

My mom needs constant attention. She might be admitted to a rehab hospital after leaving her current facility.

There hasn't been much progress yet as far as gaining any strength back on the left side.

I cried today when i went to the dean's office of the medical school. This situation is taking its toll. I feel so tired.

I believe my mom will get better though.

More
13 years 3 months ago #68584 by crabbygirl
I am officially sitting out this rotation.

My mom was more alert today, and she had OT and PT. She was able to stand with assistance and take one step. Her left leg is very weak.
She had some visitors today - two pastors from the church, and my cousin. That seemed to mean alot to her.

Her nurses today were great.
Earlier today they talked about moving her to a regular room, but I think they are still waiting a bit.

Baby Info
If my mom needs me to take care of her >12 weeks, then I will have to do my junior year over 2 years. In that case, it would be much easier for us to have a baby. Hopefully she will get better quickly, but realistically, I think it will take some time. I want her to be able to care for herself before I send her home.

More
13 years 3 months ago #68585 by crabbygirl
I haven’t yet been to see this at the hospital yet b/c I was exhausted this morning, but according to my dad, my mom can MOVE her LEFT arm!!! I cant believe it. I wont be able to see her until 1 pm. But apparently she used her left arm to reach across her body and grab her right bedrail. And she can squeeze your hand and she waved “bye” with it. Last night, it didn’t move or respond at all when I rubbed lotion on it or put an ice cube on it. Just the rare, random twitches it had been doing since the fall.
I think this must be a miracle. Yesterday, two different people from her church (an associate pastor and the head pastor) came by separately to pray with her. I said “That must be a good sign – two unexpected pastors in one day.”
She is still really weak in that hand and her left leg, and will still require extensive therapy. But this is a HUGE improvement.
:goodvibes:

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!