× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

From Guadalajara, an update after some years!

More
11 years 6 months ago #68621 by Linda M.
I don´t recall writing in my journal here, for the longest of time. I have come to the conclusion that it has been due to starting my rotations in January at the University Hospital to UAG, at HAL. Interesting, all together. I completed psychiatry, pulmonary medicine, gastroenterology and cardiology plus my clinicals at a family practice unit for the IMSS (Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social), a social medicine type clinic. Almost overwhelming.

The kids also finished their school year at the beginning of July. My daughter moves on to middle school, my son to 2nd grade. What family dynamics and challenges go with mommy being in medical school. Hard, as can be, exceptional trying to do this all in the Spanish language. Now everything is in Spanish, yup, Espanglish, more like it, in my case. I hadn´t taken a mid-term or final exam in Spanish in 35 yrs, until now. Jijiji. But it was done and I don´t owe anything. Hurray for muah!

Now it means moving on to this semester starting on the July 21st, with rotations in Surgery, Obstetrics, Gynecology and Pediatric plus all their related clinical rotations at other area hospitals or in the country, only Lord knows where as that´s a lotto for selection. Not to mention, Step 1 of the USMLE. Enough, must I say, to sink anyones ship!

But I continue to love what I do, wondering how I manage to do it all, with laughing & bugging skillet lickers and curtain climbers by my side. My loving champions of little ones (as they will always be my champions an little ones, period) having supported me psychologically through these my toughest of years, I think. They have kept me grounded, totally. What a decision to bring them with me. What a decision to show them other parts of the world.

I will never regret having made this move. We now are on our way out as I only have 3 more semesters to complete this jaunt. And 2 steps, hopefully. Jijiji We´ll see. I sure shoot for the gusto of it all. Keeping in touch with reality.

I see many of my colleagues doing what I have done, with similar goals but no kids in tow, just their dogs to feed and walk or their cats, whom they chew their table food for, before feeding them, mind you, to say the least. Jijiji, true story of one I know, no names mentioned.

Or the wives, waiting for their husbands to complete their mission having raised their kids for them.

All I can say is that it isn´t the same, neither written the same to be the mom, completing medical school and in great strides, good grades and pulling it off. Almost catching a heart attack, but doing it. Jijijiji

I cheer anyone on, that did what I did or is doing it. We´re a special breed. Now is the time to really get to know who you want to be when you grow up. And I´m 47.

I am proud to announce the engagement of my oldest son, who is 28. His fiance just was admitted to nursing school in Colorado. My littlest one, who is 7 and here in Mexico, doesn´t want to speak English, but states that he supposedly understands me. Which I doubt. He is going to turn out to be an ESOL student, when we make that cross over back into the US of A. Jijiji. Well, they´ll think that he´s undocumented. Jijiji

What can I say. But a bilingual family we all are now. And a bilingual physician I will be. Duhhh.

Luv you all and hope to hear from some folks via e-mail. Take care and I will try to return sooner.

Linda M. :crossfingers: RN to MD
Starting year 4 in Guadalajara. Stafford approved and Graduate Plus, too

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!