× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

married momof3 medschool2004

More
10 years 10 months ago #69353 by TexasRose
I'm just sticking my head in the door to say "hi and bye!" :wave:

I have graduated from medical school now. TexasRose, MD! :goodvibes:

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #69354 by TexasRose
Well, I thought that might be my last post, but it wasn't. :p

I was downloading all my posts from this blog yesterday and was totally amazed at how much I've written. It came out to nearly 300 pages! :blush: It made me start thinking about publishing it. So if anyone has thoughts on that or wants to send encouragement, it would be greatly appreciated.

In addition to spending a couple of hours copying and pasting this behemoth, I also got a chance to look over the photos my dad had taken in the last 2 weeks. There are pictures of my brothers and parents, nieces and nephew, step-grandfather, uncle and his fiance, friends and classmates, and most importantly, husband and kids. Everyone looks so proud and happy. My kids look thrilled in the pictures of us at my graduation. I look like I've just won the lottery. :rotfl: (raising them is another matter entirely, of course!)

So now I'm on the threshold of the next big adventure. Residency. The part where I actually have a job and a paycheck, but am still learning every moment of every day. Still somewhat like a student, but not. With a great deal more responsibility and a great deal more time spent on the job. I'm fearful of that time commitment and how we'll handle it as a family. But, I was so fearful of med school and that never materialized into the family-breaker I thought it might be.

A very wise friend of the family (and clergyman) told me that there wouldn't be any problems in the relationship in medical school that hadn't already been there. (I think I wrote about this before) What he said gave me the confidence to apply to med school because I already knew the issues that pop up in our marriage. Afterall, we'd been married 12 years already when I heard this advice. So, I think that this advice still stands as true and accurate as it did 5 years ago. I know what the issues are both in my relationship with my husband and in our family life. Those things are there whether I'm a resident or a SAHM. The trick as a working woman is to find and make the time to address those issues, to try and prevent them where possible and to meet them head-on when they come up. I should add that there is one issue in my marriage that has changed. I was miserable staying at home. My husband and I no longer spend hours discussing how I can feel better about my self and my intellect and I no longer resent his job and colleagues and hours away from home. Not a problem for many women, but it always was an issue for me.

So tomorrow or the next day I will start my residency blog. I wanted to wait until June 1st since I will start residency in June. May is for graduating and reflecting back on how far I've come. :D

More
5 years 3 months ago #91946 by NatPfeiffer
Thank you so much for all your posts. They were very helpful to me and I really appreciate you taking the time to write them. I'm looking forward to reading more from you, especially since Baylor is my first-choice school!

More
5 years 3 months ago #92018 by TexasRose
Dear all,

I haven't been on the site in an embarrassingly long time. I popped my head in today because I'm thinking about doing some medical writing/blogging again and wanted to look at my old blog.

670,000 views??? Holy Moly!

I'm flattered and humbled.

I thought y'all might like an update. I'm still married to that wonderful man who accompanied and supported me on this crazy journey. My daughter is now a Sophomore in college and my boys are high school Juniors! (it's shocking just to write that) I'm a full time practicing pediatrician. I actually just joined an organization and opened a new practice a month ago.

So much has happened. So much to say...

Pursue your dreams, ladies. It can be done!!!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!