× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

Dreams

More
11 years 8 months ago #69550 by PumpkinPie
Bad Bad Bad night last night. I took my son to the doctors yesterday morning, because the night before he had a temp of 102, the doctor said virus, just fluids and tylenol if needed. So at 5:15 he had a seziure, and we ended up in an ambulance on the way to the emergency room where his temp was still 104. My husband and I were supposed to go to Dallas today for a small trip together, and my parents were going to watch the kids, so that is all canceled now, and we are watching my son very closely and giving rotating tylenol and motrin, but they think he is fine and that it was just a febrile seziure, Apparently my father had them regularly when he was little, and now me and y husband are going to be scared to ever let him have a fever. So we are playing the week by ear, but my daughter still wants to visit her grandparents, so we may still take a small trip next weekend, if the kids are doing o.k. The ER doctor thought it was my son's ears, so we are going to have tubes put in. My daughter is on her third set, and for us they have been the most wonderful things ever, I hope that they have the same effect on my son. Anyway, other than that things are going well. My husband and I had a great day, and a great talk. He has had a hard time with the move for medical school, but I am hoping that everything will work out, and that we can make it happily through the next four years. Anyway, not much else going on. I have never been more scared than when my son had that seziure, I pray that we won't have anymore of them. I don't think I could function if something ever happened to one of my children. They are the most precious gifts ever. I think I was pretty calm under the pressure though. Maybe I should go into Emergency Medicine. I really liked the doctor we had last night.

kat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #69551 by PumpkinPie
My son is doing so much better, and my husband and I are now going to be nuts about keeping fevers down in him. Thank goodness he should grow out of these, and hopefully not have too many. One of the other moms on this forum deals with this with her children. It is so scary, but it is wonderful to know that he should grow out of it and that there are other people out there dealing with it and doing fine, as are their children.

That trip for me and my husband that I was so excited about a few posts ago, was cancelled when the seziure came on the day we were to leave town. I am thankful we hadn't left and been on the road to my parents when it hit. It all worked out for the best that we were still home and able to get him to the ER. We stayed home these few days, and took him to the doctor etc. and now we are going to just do a weekend trip, and my mom is going to watch the kids with my dad. I am still very exited about a get away with my husband, I think we need it after a year of living with the in-laws, and medical school application stress, but now I hope that I don't spend the whole trip worrying about my son. When my daughter was four months we went on a quick weekend trip, and I spent the whole weekend missing her, and we haven't been on a couple only trip since, so I am hoping that this one will be better. I think that this time with two kids, medical school stress, moving stress, living with the in-laws stress etc. we are probably more exhausted and in need of the break than we were last time, so it should be lots of fun.

I finally had my transcript from the semester sent to the medical school, you know how they want all final transcripts. Well, I have been avoiding it because I did so much worse this semester than I did in the fall. They let me in because of how I did in the fall, and I didn't keep it up in the spring, I gave up the first round of tests to study for the MCAT (that paid off huge), but I couldn't really make it up. You can't have one bad test to get an A, and so it was a really rough semester for the GPA.

Anyway, it has been such a great summer with the kids so far. I was talking to my husband in the car today, and trying to figure out where I acquired this medical school drive. My mom stayed home with us, and I often wonder, why I can't just be satisfied staying home. We would save a fortune on school for the kids, and without loans on me, we could have a pretty nice life on my husbands salary. So why the drive, I guess I want what most women with kids that go to medical school want. I want a career that I love, and that I worked for, and I want to show my kids anything is possible, even if it is done in a different order or way. I also just really want to be a doctor. Maybe I'll never know why?

kat

More
11 years 8 months ago #69552 by PumpkinPie
My husband and I are in Ft. Lauderdale, for a few days, and I can't believe how relaxed we are. I have talked with my mom every day, and the kids are doing great. We haven't done anything like this without kids in 5 years. We miss them, but I can't believe how easy it is to just take care of yourself. I have totally forgotten how simple it is to get one person ready in the morning, eat just my own food, get one person ready for bed, and I can't remember the last time we sat at breakfast and had time to just page through the newspaper. WOW I told my DH that we should do this at least once a year, even if it is just for a long weekend. I hope he agrees, well he is almost back from his walk, and we are heading to breakfast to read the paper and get ready for the beach. Two and a half days left of sun and sand, and when we get home, I have a day to do laundry, and then we get to move out of my in-laws house and into a hotel. I can't wait!

To any of you md moms or working on being md moms, I am sure that you are smarter than us and occasionally do things just as a couple to keep your relationship good and tight, but if not I highly recommend it :cloud9:

kat

More
11 years 8 months ago #69553 by PumpkinPie
Yesterday I finally moved out of my mother-in-laws house!!!! We moved into a hotel for the next two months until our house is finished. We moved into a studio with two kids a dog, me and my husband, and it doesn't matter, because I could feel the dark clouds lifting the farther away I drove from her house.

We have been living there for 10 months, and she watched my children while I did the biology program that helped me get into medical school (my daughter went to preschool a few hours a day, and in the spring we got a daycare spot for my son two days a week, but she watched them other than that) and I am grateful for what she did, but I am so happy to be gone.

I finally have it confirmed that she doesn't like me at all. They are having this big family trip to San Diego this August for her 60th birthday, and apparently she told my husband that she doesn't want me to come. She also said the kids aren't welcome this is an adult trip. Meanwhile the other fiance in the family is invited.

She yelled at me this year, she says very mean things while smiling and pretending to be nice, she thinks she is superior because she is naturally thin, and for awhile when I first arrived, she made sure I had all the weight loss articles she could find. Granted I have had a hard time getting weight off since kids, but it's not like I am this major tubo. She is totally materialistic and fake, and a backstabber, and I have been obsessed with trying to figure out why I can't get this woman to like me, and I just need to walk away now. We don't value the same things, and she cuts me down to my daughter and to my husband. My husband and I don't get along when they are around us, because she is so busy buzzing in his ear, about what a bad wife I am. It is like a cloud lifts when they leave town, and we get along again.

I get mad just writing about the subject, so I better quit, I am so happy to be out, I am so happy to be back together with just my family, and I can't wait for our house to be done, but I am going to enjoy every minute this summer with the kids in this hotel.

I have been trying to understand all year, why this woman did this for me, and I have come to the conclusion that she can't say "no" to her son, and he is the one that asked, and I guess she is a martyr. I know for sure she doesn't like me for some reason though, and I am going to try and not let it drive me crazy.

Everyone tells me to just let it go, and to get over it, and stay away when I can. I agree that is what you should do, but I wish I was better at not caring. How?

Anyway, other than that things are great, The kids and I went swimming today for awhile, and then we went to Walmart to get some extra pool toys for the summer. We are taking a rest now because my son is taking a nap. I think we will head back out to the pool later.

Medical School starts in 74 days. Actually orientation starts in 71 days. So 71 days to play with the kids, settle in the new house, learn how to not give a hoot what anyone thinks including my mother-in-law, and enjoy the break before the killer fall.

kat

More
11 years 7 months ago #69554 by PumpkinPie
Well, we are having a great time in the hotel. I love having the summer for just me the kids and my husband. I have decided to take the problems with my mother-in-law as a lesson to myself. I have spent way too much of my life worrying about what other people think of me, and if they like me or not, I have never really stepped back and taken the time to decide who I like and who I would like to spend time with. Well, even though she has hurt my feelings, and upset me terribly, I am going to just try to get over it walk away, and not spend any more time than I have to with her.

Yesterday we took the kids to the zoo, and we got an annual pass, so I think that I will be going lots this summer. I am so relaxed to have a place of my own even though it is a studio in a hotel. It is mine, and my families. YEAH. I can't believe that medical school starts in a couple of months. Everything is starting to come together. I still have to have a couple of titers drawn, and I need to do the paperwork for orientation. Other than that, the background check won't even come until July.

The kids and I are leaving in 10 days for my parents. Then we are going to Hilton Head for two weeks. YEAH. My sisters are coming with their kids for one of the weeks, so my kids will get to hang out with their cousins. My husband can't go this year. He has some trials out of town, and is swamped at work, but maybe next year.

Anyway, there really isn't much to talk about. Things are so calm in my head now that I am out of my in-laws house, and medical school hasn't started. The kids and I are having a great summer, and my husband actually asked me the other day if I still want to go to medical school, because I am doing so great with the kids, but I think that part of the reason I am having such a great time is because I know that when August 11th hits, I will be swamped so I want to make the most of every moment I have right now to spend with them.

My son is getting his ear tubes put in on Wednesday. Hopefully this will help with the infections so he won't run fevers and have anymore seizures. I have loved every ENT that I have dealt with, and I have dealt with lots of them. My daughter is on her 3rd set of tubes, my son is about to get his first, and we have had 3 different ENT's because of our moves. Maybe I should be an ENT, I have thought about it before, but it is a really competitive residency to get into one, and it is a really rough residency, and so I am not sure. I think it would be a great practice situation.

kat

More
11 years 7 months ago #69555 by PumpkinPie
Yesterday, was the first day since I have been home with the kids that I have been fried. I am having a wonderful time, but yesterday got me. I went to the gym at 4 and put them in the gym daycare for an hour to work off the stress. It was good for me. I need the exersize and it helps calm me down for the munchkins.

My son is learning to walk, and he is so dangerous. He is not stable on his feet, so he falls all over the place, and needs constant monitoring. He is at such a sweet age, and he is such a happy baby. I can't believe how busy he is compared to how my daughter was at his age.

My daughter, was playing with my husband last night, and he was tickling her. She got all riled up, and ran straight into a coffee table, so we are on our way to the dentist this afternoon, because I am worried about one of her teeth. At least it got our butts in gear to get a pediatric dentist here. We found one not too far from the new house, so although it will be a drive today, once we move into the new house it will be a quick trip for her cleanings. She is nervous so we have been talking about the dentist all morning. She hopes they won't use a drill, and I have been assuring her that I don't believe that they will.

The medical school is having problems getting all of our information into one of the systems. We are suppose to be able to get in and look at the orientation plans, but I guess most of us are having problems getting in. They are going to get all of our names re-entered today, so hopefully tomorrow I will have the orientation schedule. WOW, I can't believe that four years from now I will have graduated and I will be a doctor.

Tomorrow my son is having his first set of ear tubes put in. Poor baby. They are always so upset when they come out of the anesthesia.

Well, other than that not much going on here. We are still enjoying the hotel. It is thunder storming today so we won't be hitting the pool today. It should be a nice relaxing day inside, and at the dentist. Maybe we will hit the children's museum.

kat

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!