× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

my journey through and 2

More
10 years 11 months ago #69562 by want2serve
Hello!
I am so excited to be able to post here. I am 6 classes from my Bachelors degree and I plan on applying to DO school in August 2010. I havent taken the MCAT yet but I want to take it this summer, August 2009. Ill finish my Bio degree next Fall and I have a list of places to apply to get clinical experience and of course to make some money. Money is a problem. I have looked into the National Health Service Corp so that I wont accumulate anymore debt and also help support my family. I have been married for 15 years and I have four children. I am 35 but I am not concerned about my age, most of the time anyhow. If I get into DO school Ill be 38. This is good timing because by the time I hit residency my youngest will be almost 18. I wanted to take 16 hours this Spring semester to boost my GPA but I have to save some fin aid for the fall so Im bummin a little and Im only going to take 9 hours. My GPA is 3.29 but should be up a little in the next couple weeks when grades are submited. So...gotta get that GPA up, rock the MCAT, work in healthcare, and make some contacts for LORs and shadowing. Hopefully Ill be working weekends soon at the local nursing home as a CNA.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #69563 by want2serve
When I let fear in I wonder if we can survive school and then residency. When I am full of hope I think that all will be well and that school is just going to have to be my job. Baby steps forward, always taking action towards the dream and try not to sacrifice the day to day important things. My mantra over and over is breathe, live, enjoy. Im actually excited about studying for the MCAT. Im going to wait until the spring semester is over to begin studying. I looked at Amazon.com and I want the examkrackers series of books. They have gotten good reviews from studentdrnetwork. If I can keep it relaxed and work steady and long hours all summer all be ready for the MCAT in august.

More
10 years 11 months ago #69564 by want2serve
Finals Mon and Wed. I have very little room for error if I want As thats how close my grades are so Ive got to get back to studying. I went yesterday and filled out an application at the local nursing home were I used to work and I was hired right back on. I even got some smiles and one of the charge nurses gave me a big hug. It felt good to get that kind of response. It means I did a good job when I was there before. So, Ill be working weekends only as a CNA. Its a good job, its close, and its only weekends so I wont have to find daycare in the AM for my 10 year old. This time next year I will be graduating with my Bachelors! If all goes well Ill be working in a clinical setting by Jan. I cant ever go without an income again. I wont go into the nasty financial details. 6 of us, one income, not working. After finals Imgoing to call a contact I got from one of my professors to volunteer at a free medical clinic that she is also involved with. I have about 1 year and 8 months before I apply to med school and I need to add to my life experiences. I actually dreamed about making hundreds of PBJ sandwiches and handing out oranges to the homeless. I havent ever done that but I fell asleep thinking about how tough the winters must be for them and how sad Christmas must be too. I havent bought even one present for my kids yet but we are still in a home and we are together. I am hoping that I will get the Smart grant again this year, maybe around the 12th. 1000 for bills and 1000 for Christmas. That would be so awesome. Merry Christmas to everyone and Ill check in when Ive made some progress towards clinical experience and such.

More
10 years 11 months ago #69565 by want2serve
Wow, I don’t know why I even bother worrying. Last night I asked my husband, “So, have you figured out how we are going to get to work and school tomorrow?” He said, “nope, have you?”. I was going to drive to school on empty and he got a ride to work from his friend. Tuesday he was going to go sell his blood plasma for 20 dollars to get us until Thursday which is payday. Anyhoo, my mom western unioned me 75 buck! Woo hoo! My husband works hard and we don’t waste money but there is more money going out then coming in. I am so glad that I have a job again! It’s just going to take a few weeks to get back in. I have to work steady and true and not try to force anything. Moving always towards the goal and just chill. If it’s to be then it will be. I have a final today and I’m ready for it so it’ll be fun to take it. I am more concerned about pathophys…23 chapters of info. So, I’ll be studying a lot the next 2 days. I keep dreaming about feeding the homeless so I’m going to see if I can find a volunteer job that will help with that. Not a real interesting journal so far but this is life and this is how I’m gonna get where I’m going. Peace.

More
10 years 11 months ago #69566 by want2serve
I must say that I am more than a bit blue today. I hate waiting for grades. My online class is a disaster and I haven't received credit for all the work Ive done. I still don't know if the professor has any record of it or not. So if I fail that class I will be so totally bummed out. Im already bummed out about it. I think Im on the down side of an up. The weather is cold and gray and wet. We are supposed to get snow tonight and the kids don't have winter coats yet. We will get some thursday. I think that I may be a fool with wanting to go to medical school. Its time to work now. Perhaps life will allow it and our circumstances will change but I don't know. I am so ready to be done with my degree and start working. Hopefully as a histotechnician. What a great job that would be and what great experience! I can totally see why more poor people don't make it through school. The sheer financial stress of existing is exhausting.

More
10 years 11 months ago #69567 by want2serve
ok I gave up for awhile on the idea of med school. Im still not working. Im still waiting on an appointment for a physical. So, I had to tell my 4 kids that there wont be any presents Christmas morning and to try not to be too disappointed. How did it get to this? The last couple years have been awful. I blame myself. If I had been working this whole time we would not be in this situation. I havent given up hope and things have a way of working out. I know that we are not alone in this. My mom wants me to remember the reason for Christmas and I do, I am so grateful but still. My father n law has some gifts for them so itll be alright. I cant wait to finish my degree and work and work. Then if life allows it Ill still apply to med school in August 2010.
I got an A in pathophys, and A in dosage calculations, a B in intro to nutrition, and a C in freshman orientation (WHAT?) anyhoo I didn't get the grant I was expecting because Im not taking enough hours. Bummer. Oh well
My DH has been in a mood but he was wonderful last night. He know I feel bad and he said I need to finish my bio degree and go from there and even if I dont cont. school Im still his smart girl. Goofy I know but Ive been feeling guilty like pursuing my education is selfish. Crazy double standard
poisoning my brain.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!