× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

Mom of 3 tries everything NOT to become an MD and fails ;)~

More
13 years 9 months ago #69572 by chem2md
I spent most of my adult life doing everything in my power to become a physician. It took me 6 years and 2 children to finish my BA in Chemistry, I took the MCAT numerous times and finally wound up with a 29, I did medically relevant research, pursued a Masters in Chemistry, shadowed, volunteered, taught ... you name it ... I have done it. Then the divorce happened :eek: What to do now??? My first husband was never supportive of my endeavors in the first place so I figured this shouldn't stop me ... I have made it on my own so to speak over the past 6 years ... thru working 2 jobs ... having cancer ... dealing with an ailing father half a country away ... all while raising my 2 amazing boys. So we packed our lives up and moved back home. Trying to transfer my thesis fell thru and one thing after another happened to sabotage my completion of my Masters Degree :mad: - will post those details another day - needless to say - things weren't working out the way I had planned. Somehow -even living with my parents - I saw my children less and less. My university was a hours drive each way in additon to the fact I obviously had to work to support these wonderful treasures God had given me. Somewhere along the way God smiled upon me and brought my current husband into my life :goodvibes:

Chem2MD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #69573 by chem2md
Okay ... first of all let me say that yesterday was god-awful after my post! I got very sick, very quickly ... I was completely out of commission all day ... thank goodness for my 10 year old ... he kept bringing me medicine and water ... even a glass of milk "to help my tummy" - how cute is that :) He kept an eye on and played with my 8 yr old all day - I am truly blessed with wonderful children. Unfortunately ... my 10-yr-old caretake bite the dust shortly after dinner ... then DH went down hard at bedtime .... we all had a rough night but everyone seems to be recouperating now.

So ... where was I ... oh yes ... doing anything I could to be happy without medicine in my life. The first year I did nothing other than taking care of my family - the whole Martha Stewart phase :p And my DH - then boyfriend - decided I needed to do something for myself ... well - he actually decided for me ... so I looked to my hobbies. I have always loved to sing so I decided to try my hand at that. I entered several competitions, honed my entertaining skills at many a karaoke night :rotfl: and it turns out I was actually pretty good! I took things more seriously now ... Dh bought me a guitar and I taught nyself the basics... he helped me get my first solo gig at an upscale restaurant here in town and eventually I looked into getting some musicians together for more gigs ... pretty soon it was taking up more time than I had anticipated ... and we decided that if I had given up my dream of becoming a physician to be with my family ... I couldn't in good conscience do something that was taking me away from them ... so back to the drawing board we go!
After a while of going back to being Martha-incarnate ... I began to think about other options. I have always loved to cook ... so much so that I would spend my sundays trying out so many new recipes from the food network that I would have to invite half the neighborhood just to get the leftover amount down to filling one freezer, lol. So yes - you guessed it ... I got myself a business license and opened Gloucester Gourmet. I opened for business doing catering and custom cakes. My cakes took off so quickly that we soon added a whole separate entity ... The Cakery ... okay now what was I saying about taking time away from my family??? ... oh yeah .. I got engagaed and was planning a wedding while doing all of this AND getting adjusted to a new stepson who is now 5. So here I was ... thinking that I could run 2 businesses while my babies were at school :laughing: okay - so I was a bit delusional to say the least. Things were going very well for me and these new endeavors. I found a new niche and I threw myself into it with all that I had. I was good - i mean really good at what I was doing - orders were coming in and my reputation was growing ... I had a website and a following and things were only growing bigger. DH and I were talking about taking a business class and applying for a SBA loan to open a storefront ... and this is where things get hairy. I really believe I could be happy for a while doing this ... but once again ... the time thing ... I really thought I could run a profitable business during only the hours my children were not physically at home -ooyyy ---- once again --- DH has proven me wrong. Not only would I have to work every day ... including weekends .. but my hours would be terrible and the money wouldn't be there for quite some time. Once again I am faced with a dillemma - I am agin away from my children ... so needless to say ... Gloucester Gourmet and The Cakery are on an indefinite hiatus :weeping:

NOW WHAT???????????????

Well ... I finally gave in to my DH after months of suggesting we pull my children from the public school system and put them in a private academy ... i just couldn't justify having my fiance pay 12K per year for a private school for my boys when I wasn't bringing in an income ... but after many long discussions ... he convinced me it was worth it! My children had both been identified as gifted in the public school ... and placed in their gifted program ... but there was still no progress and no challenges posed to them ... they weren't getting challenged intellectually or socially ... so here we went with a whole new adventure for our family. During this time - still planning a wedding ... I decided to use my education and get a "real-job" ... HA! ... 6 months and 60000 resumes later ... NO JOB ... things have been really tight and we are paying for our wedding ourselves ... I am catering it, doing the flowers, 2 wedding cakes, and the decorating .. all for 75-100 people. Things have gotten really stressful lately. My future husband is in the Army and he has been gone almost more than he has been home since we have been together. He has been in another tour in Kuwait during the summer before the kids started the private school ... he gets home in the end of August ... just enough time to prepare for the November 12th wedding ... and one Friday night in early October he sat up in bed and said something just happened ... he had a very strange feeling in his chest ... but then he just went back to sleep ... we were scheduled to do our bridal registry at 2 department stores the next day ... he woke up and began to get ready and then proceeded to ask me if we could reschedule because he wasn't feeling well ... well I know that my DH likes to put these kinds of things off ... so I guilted him and he gave in .. and off we go! ... we get our registries done and he looks worse and worse all day .. never once complaining ... then we had a late lunch and home we go ... by this time he was having trouble breathing ... and could only take a painless breath by laying on his left side ... we went to bed and got up for church sunday morning ... he tells me he just cant do it and I start researching the internet and trying to get him to give me some more info about what is happening ... none of my findings are good ... so I insist we go to the hospital ... we go to our local ER adn we wait ... and wait ...and wait ...his breathing and coloring are getting worse ... so I take him out of there and to the Army base ER ... they took him right back ... did an EKG and some chest xrays
pneumothorax!!! holy-moly-batman ... and I made this poor man walk thru the mall for 6 hours!!! What have I done :eek:

well I need to get moving and go to a Dr's appt myself ... will continue with the saga later. Have a great day and thanks for reading:)

Chem2MD

More
13 years 9 months ago #69574 by chem2md
well ... its been one of those weeks ... where was I? .... so we found out that DH had a spontaneous pneumothorax ... rushed to a larger facility and had a chest tube put in - a week in the hospital and home we go. He was out of work for 2 weeks and still isn't back to 100% but he's doing really well. The wedding planning got hairy for a bit but thanks to some VERY good friends who came in from MO and stayed with me for the 10 days leading up to the wedding. Everything was amazing and I felt my life was finally coming together - the kids were happy ... my new husband was happy .. things had never been better ... but I still felt that something was missing :goodvibes: Now the babies are home so I must depart for now! Have a good night and enjoy Gray's anatomy!

Chem2MD

More
13 years 9 months ago #69575 by chem2md
Just a quick note for tonight ... things are looking up a bit for us ... I am getting caught back up on my MCAT studies ... and I finally have something definitive in regards to a diagnosis ... I have been having health problems for some time now and I can't tell you how many times I've been told "it's all in my head" ... or "you must be depressed" ... and now I know I have "Mitral valve prolapse syndrome/Dysautomnia" and it just so happens that I am in the 14% of the population who has this lovely malfunction that actually has symptoms! I have decided to try supplements and nutrition instead of prescription meds ... but we'll see. Have a great one!

Chem2MD

More
13 years 9 months ago #69576 by chem2md
This week is going to be a doozey :tired:
Today is dance performances for my 10 year old SON who decided to join the dance squad at school and be the only boy - ooyyy! Then tomorrow I have to make the rounds to the hardware stores to buy the supplies for that same sons Odyssey of the mind competition - seeing as how I volunteered to coach his team .. we have practice from 3:30 - 5:00 AND he has a performance at 6:00 ... Wed he has a BBall Tourney all day and dance practice in the afternoon ... my youngest has OM as well until 5 ... thurs is OM again for my 10yr old AND we have a dessert theater at the school that they get extra credit for if we go from 7-8pm .... BUT ... Friday ... I cannot wait!!! My husband is in the Army and his batallion is sponsoringan entire day for married couples ... we begin the day with a marital seminar based on the book "the 5 love languages" by Dr. Gary Chapman ... he gets the whole day off and we get lunch provided ... we are also being taken on a dinner cruise at the end of the day ... all on the Army's $$ :goodvibes: Before this book we could not have a civil discussion on something we disagreed on ... it was always a knock-down drag out ... and since we have begun to implement these ideas into our everyday life ... we have not had one single argument ... we designate some time after dinner , while the kids are upstairs finishing up their homework and doing their chores ... when we just talk .... somedays its just trivial ... but some days it is real - problem solving discussion. We may not always agree ... but we have learned to cope and compromise.

I need to get back to my studies now ... so good luck to you all and keep up the good work!

Chem2MD

More
13 years 9 months ago #69577 by chem2md
well needless to say... my weekend with DH was WONDERFUL ... I so needed that :D But then last night - ooyyy! I am coaching my sons Odyssey of the Mind team and we have practice today. Our headmaster didn't want multiple keys to the building floating around out there so he told me to go to the upper school coach - who has allready been provided with one ... to let us in the building. WELL ... I called him last night when we got home and he was a TOTAL JERK :mad: FOr those of you who don't know what OM is ... it is a critical thinking cometition for children K-college ... they are "coached" by one or 2 adults but there can be no "outside assistance" ... so the kids essentially have to plan and build these things themselves. Well ... my group is grades 3-5 ... how much building are they going to do??? :scratchchin: I have never even heard of this competition until the coordinatorcame to me and asked if I would volunteer due to the fact that they were going to have to cut so many children due to the fact that there is a max of 7 on a team. SO I say yes ...my husband hates that about me ... no matter how many things I have on my plate ... if it comes to the kids ... I always have more time. So anyway ... long story short ... both of our teams chose the same problem - the kids choose one of 6 problems to compete in ... and our teams don't even compete with each other due to age requirements ... but he happened to see our "float" ... and evidently took it personally ... he feels we "copied off him" ... grow up man- your in your 40s ... and the fact that we chose the same problem as his team and that our project was BETTER and our kids are YOUNGER ... :confused: he actually acused me of hiring a professional contractor to build our float :eek: WHAT??? we are given $145 ... yes ... 145$ ... to build a float that can change its appearance 3 times ... travel around the parade route ... propelled on ly by the students HANDS ... must have costumes and 2 technical features along with a school sign and decorations .. but we could aford to hire a professional contractor ????? anyway ... he was such a jerk to me on the phone that my DH called back ... being the manly protector he is ... and told this guy that he wouldn't tolerate the treating of his wife this way adn didn't appreciate his attitude - oooyyyy! So now I have 8 kids showing up at the school for a 3 practice and don't even know if this creep is going to show up. Sorry ... I know this post has NOTHING to do with my medical endeavors but I NEEDED TO VENT! I can't believe that another adult who is volunteering their time would have the nerve to treat me like that. Anyway ... have a good Sunday girls!

Chem2MD

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!