× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

Diary of a Wannabe

More
14 years 5 days ago #69689 by mrssd
I got the results of the progesterone draw from yesterday and I ovulated!! I was pretty sure that I had because my BBTs and OPKs had predicted ovulation on cd15. It is still pretty exciting that I could be pregnant. I am undecided about when to take a HPT. Probably next Sunday or Monday. And if I am not pregnant, there is always next month now that we have it figured out.

As I was sitting in the OB's office yesterday waiting for my blood draw it dawned on me that I am pretty young. It is weird but a lot of the women in the waiting room had a 3-5 year old with them and were probably about 34. Not old, but older than me (I will be 24 next month). It isn't that I necessarily feel old but I feel very grown. So many of my friends from high school and college are still working the single scene, spending every penny they make at their first jobs, and don't feel responsible enough to have a cat. I love them but our priorities are so different and I am not sure if I would trust some of them as babysitters. Anyway, I didn't really have a point; it was more of an observation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 13 hours ago #69690 by mrssd
Well…today has already been a GREAT day and it is only 7:45am. I woke up to let me dogs out and I took my temp, which actually is going up even though it should be on it’s way down because I am on cd 27 of 28. Hmm, I thought (full of hope), maybe I am pregnant? So I took a pregnancy test even though I was going to wait until tomorrow morning to test. And, to my shock there were TWO LINES on the test! I am still really hesitant to say, “I am pregnant” because the line was faint, and part of me can’t believe that it has happened. But I checked the peeonastick.com website and the pictures of the First Response HPTs on 12 DPO looked same as mine. By the way, my husband was standing behind me the whole time saying “stop doubting it, your pregnant, of course your pregnant” as if we haven’t had a problem at all. I love him.
Anyway, I have an enormous exam on Tuesday morning so I have to spend the next 2 days studying. And of course, tomorrow I will be testing again and calling my OB!
Now I am going to make a celebratory breakfast of pancakes with peanut butter… have a great day ladies!

More
13 years 11 months ago #69691 by mrssd
Well I have had quite a week! After 3 more positive pregnancy tests I am able to accept and say, “I am pregnant!!!” I am very excited! The baby is due in early November and I have my first OB appt. in 2 weeks. We haven’t told anyone except my mother, who to my surprise was really excited for us. (I was worried she would give me a lot of reasons to worry about how we are going to do this with both of us in school.)
I haven’t really felt any symptoms except that I have to go to the bathroom more often, I have nasty heartburn and I get super hungry if I haven’t eaten in 3 hours. I am kind of anxiously awaiting the morning sickness because I read an article that said the more morning sickness the healthier the pregnancy. (Probably not true but I am feeling pretty naïve.) All the same, I am not going to read any more articles!
Oh, and I scheduled a meeting with my Dean today to let her know so I can have an okay schedule for the first part of 3rd year clerkships.
Also, I wanted to thank everyone who sent me congratulations. It made me feel very special and supported.

More
13 years 11 months ago #69692 by mrssd
I have had a pretty boring week. I have been so exhausted and have gone to bed every night before 10pm. This is probably going to come back and bite me in the butt with school but I can’t help it. By 8pm I feel like I have been awake for 24 hours.
Other than the fatigue I have had pretty mild pregnancy symptoms just heartburn this week. And I have been having some little abdominal cramps. I have been told that they are totally normal and the pain hasn’t really bothered me but I worry a lot. Every little feeling I think, “What was that? Is the baby okay and growing well?” Etc. I have my first OB appt. next week and I am really looking forward to it. I will be 6 weeks and I hope that we can hear/see the heartbeat!
I have been reading two books on parenting. I am enjoying them and worrying, will I really be good at this. The teenager stuff is really freaking me out! I am not even sure if I can change a diaper or bathe a baby.

More
13 years 11 months ago #69693 by mrssd
Well, it has been quite sometime since I have updated my diary. I had my first OB appt last week and they did a vaginal ultrasound and my husband and I got to see the baby’s heartbeat. Our OB said everything looked good which slightly reassured me and gave me a break from the endless worry for about an hour. I have finally started to feel pregnant but with that comes a lot of nausea and utter disgust for most foods and smells. I have had a hard time coming up with something I want to eat despite being very hungry most of the time. I am also getting very busty, I am not complaining about it but the book I am reading mentioned something about enjoying them for a bit because they will be saggy and very small after breastfeeding. How depressing, I feel too gross and unattractive wear anything revealing and they will only stay around while I feel that way… sigh…
I still love being pregnant though, I have been having a lot of daydreams about what the baby will be like and what books I will read him or her and all of the songs I will sing for him or her.
In other news, I went away for the weekend and I had a very relaxing time. I didn’t study for 3 days!! I think that is the biggest break I have had since Christmas. But now that I am home I have a presentation and a lot of class notes to look over to compensate for missing Friday’s classes. Plus I am still trying to study past material for STEP at least 3-4 times each week. I am also doing preceptorships now. I like the patient interaction but I can’t help thinking that all of this can wait until 3rd year because I have a lot to do before I get to that point!

More
13 years 11 months ago #69694 by mrssd
I celebrated my birthday this week and I am 8 weeks pregnant this week. I am so excited about what this year has to offer—getting out of the basic sciences, starting 3rd year clerkships and the most exciting...the arrival of our baby!
My grandmother sent me some baby things and I like to look at them and imagine what the baby will be like and how he or she will smile and the way his or her cry will sound and how it will feel to breastfeed.
I think that it is a boy, they say that there is an intuition but it is a 50/50 chance I am right--if it is a boy my husband will be ecstatic. He really wants a boy to play soccer with and teach to fly fish. I think he will try all of that with a daughter too but he would be really excited to have a little boy. We are going to find out the sex as soon as possible. I know a lot of people say it is a great surprise but I don’t get why it is any less of a surprise at 5 months than at 9. And it will be a lot easier to plan for his or her arrival if we know if it is a him or a her.
And I have been looking at maternity clothes but I have not bought anything yet. I have found a lot of cute things but I can still fit in most of my clothes (the tight jeans went out last week) so I am in no hurry. Since I am not telling my classmates about the pregnancy just yet I am going to have to start wearing only baggy clothes pretty soon—or everyone can just believe that I am getting fat, I guess I don’t care…I like my secret.
Other than baby excitement my life is pretty mundane. Just studying for the last few classes, going to preceptorships, and studying for STEP in my spare time. I am glad the year will be getting more exciting because this is all getting old. I am so tired of solely book learning I could spit!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!