× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

Peering over the edge

More
11 years 4 months ago #70110 by hopefulMDtx
I started to write one of these two years ago, but so much has changed I just felt like I needed to start over. I'm currently playing the "waiting game" with the Medical schools I applied to. So i think writing might calm my nerves a bit. Also, I have really enjoyed reading the blogs here, so maybe someone can benefit from my story :)

About me :
I'm 22 and I'm not married or engaged, nor do I have any kids. I'm just a girl who dreams of all of that and becoming a doctor, probably equally as much. I will graduate in December from a great school in Texas with a degree in biomedical engineering. My stats are ok, but not awesome. I have roughly a 3.6 gpa and a 29 mcat. I have done lots of cool stuff though, including a job with a heart institute, various volunteer positions, viewed 2 autopsies, and my favorite activity... Powerlifting! On another note, I do have an amazing boyfriend :wave:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #70111 by hopefulMDtx
So now I feel silly again. Guess what email I got yesterday afternoon? Yup an interview invitation!!! YAY!!! :D It's reallllly far away though. Still in Texas, but I'll have to fly out there. And I'd probably be a little more excited if I didn't think it would cause the demise of my relationship if I got accepted there. But... in any case...I'm still THRILLED to have been given this opportunity! I know how many people are waiting for an email invitation like that right now. so, for now I will just enjoy it. *does a happy dance*

More
11 years 4 months ago #70112 by hopefulMDtx
Another thing about me... I'm a bus driver. Yup. CDL license and all. But just for my University. It's a fun job :) Anyway...yesterday I was sitting at this hotel waiting for a group that I had driven there when I checked my phone and I had a missed call. The call was from "unavailable" so I listened to the voicemail they left and guess what! It was a med school calling to invite me for an interview!!!!! :D I was sooooooo excited and the woman who left the message gave me a phone number to call back to set up the interview. As soon as the message was over I was telling myself "Hit SAVE Message!" So I immediately hit 7. .....and I heard this "message has been deleted." AHHHHHH :eek: yup. I was so excited I hit delete instead of save. So now I have to figure out who to call to explain that I'm a dork who didn't save the voicemail with the correct phone number. :rotfl:

More
11 years 4 months ago #70113 by hopefulMDtx
I feel like explaining my blog/diary's title. You know the feeling when you are really high up in the air, perhaps on a high dive or a cliff. You know it is a long way down, but you can't help but creep up to the edge and peer over? In situations like those I think a lot of people feel this rush of excitement, part fear, part joy. Basically, that is where I am in my life right now. The next year or two will be filled with so many changes! I'm excited, yet scared.

I'm graduating from college in December. While I am pretty confident that I will be accepted to medical school, I cannot be sure yet and so I'm leaving the decision of "what to do after graduation" to someone else. I've opened myself up to people, shown them all of the hard work I've put in up to this point in my life, and asked them to have faith in me. What if they think I'll be a great doctor and I get into my first choice? What if they worry about my capabilities because of my GPA & MCAT? What If I get accepted into the school that is really far away? No matter what my life is going to change this year. Hopefully I will go from "engineering student" to "medical student."

I also am really happy with the relationship I'm in. While we are in no hurry, i can't help but feel like there might be a ring on my finger sometime in the next two years. Of course that could depend on where (if) I get accepted to medical school.

Anyway, hopefully this doesn't sound like whining or complaining. I really just want to share the excitement (good and bad) of the coming months.

More
11 years 3 months ago #70114 by hopefulMDtx
Well, I have been so busy I haven't had a chance to worry yet, but my first interview is TOMORROW!!!! :hyper: It's with an osteopathic school (but it happens to be one of, if not the best osteopathic schools in the nation!) So now in between moving from my apartment to a uhaul storage area (new apartment isn't ready until after aug 1st. but I had to be out of my current place by the 31st) I have to read up on the school so I can be well informed when I interview.

The wierd thing is I REALLY like the school, but it is 3 to 3 1/2 hours away from my where my boyfriend is. I keep checking my email hoping to get an invitation to the medical school that is closer, but I feel guilty like I'm taking the 3 I've gotten for granted. :( (I also have 2 other interviews to schools that are 9 and 15+ hours away). Maybe I'll be more relaxed at this interview since it isn't my first choice...

Butterflies I guess...

More
11 years 3 months ago #70115 by hopefulMDtx
So the first interview went Great! I LOVE the school. Everybody was soooo nice and the interviewers really gave me a positive feeling about the school and hinted toward me being accepted.

Now the only down side is that the school is still 3 1/2 hours away from my b/f (which is doable) and it is also a D.O. school (one of if not the BEST DO school in the nation though). I personally have no problem with being a D.O. and I think if anything I'll be better equipped to serve my patients. What worries me is that the general public doesn't seem to know what a D.O. is. When telling people about my interview they have said things along the lines that they thought D.O.'s had less training, or that D.O's used herbs, etc. I worry that I won't be able to get patients as easily, or that they won't trust me. Or worse I might face discrimination from peers who are M.D.'s. I'm not really sure if these worries are valid or not.

I do still have 2 interviews left though (both m.d. schools that are really far away). I'm starting to think that these might be my only 3 interviews I get. I submitted in May/June after all... and most of the people that I know that submitted around then have been offered interviews to the other Texas schools that I haven't.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!