× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

Peering over the edge

More
11 years 2 months ago #70116 by hopefulMDtx
Ups and downs and ups and downs again...that describes the past week.

Starting last Monday after doggy-sitting my boyfriend's schnauzer he finally returned from vacation. We got to spend one day together and then I left on Tuesday night for Houston. I met up with my mom in Houston and on Tuesday we flew out to El Paso for my first interview. Having never been to El Paso before I was floored by the beauty! Moutains :cool: that i'd never actually seen before in real life. I interviewed on Thursday and was BLOWN AWAY by how great the med school is going to be (first year it is accepting students). :goodvibes: I didn't have much time to enjoy it though, because I then told my mom goodbye and hopped on a flight to lubbock for another interview the next day. I spent the night with a medical student and then interviewed all day Friday. The interviews went well, but I'm not really sure how I feel about the school. I definately didn't feel "wow-ed" but then again, I'd still graduate with an M.D. after my name and what matters for residency is my USMLE not the school I go to. I then got to the airport, flew to Houston, and then drove home.

I feel blessed, but I was exhausted from the speedy trip and all day interviews. Barely more than 24 hours after I got home my boyfriend and I noticed his schnauzer breathing WAYYY too fast. We knew she had a bad heart murmur and she was 12 years old. I realized it was the end, but there is no way to prepare. I quietly watched as my boyfriend held his beloved dog and best friend in his arms as she breathed her last few breaths. :( While it has been really sad, I am comforted by knowing that she wasn't alone and neither was my boyfriend when it happened. It was fast. Probably only 2 hours from acting totally normal to when she finally passed. Just Saturday she was running around and stealing a waffle from a plate :laughing: :) (she didn't get to eat it, but she sure did try) It was a sunday, but luckily I found a place that would pick up her body anyway. She'll be cremated and my boyfriend will be able to keep her ashes. (he lives in an apartment and couldn't bury her)

I also got an email from one of my interviewer's on Friday. Very positive! Now I just have to wait until november (or later) to find out where I will be next year.

Luckily I have one week to recover before the fall semester (and my last semester as an undergrad!) begins.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #70117 by hopefulMDtx
I started my last semester as an undergrad today...
*twiddles thumbs* .....still waiting for any more interviews.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #70118 by hopefulMDtx
Wow, so another month has gone by (school, work, and powerlifting keeps me busy definately!).

I did however, get an interview to the school in my town!!! *YAY* :goodvibes: It's for Oct. 16th! I'm really hoping I can wow them. I LOVE the school and I also Love where I live. It's beautiful here, not too big, not too small. Knowing I would be able to see my boyfriend a lot doesn't hurt either ;) .

Well, only a little over 2 months until I graduate!!! For now, I just keep plowing through this last (and yet still difficult) semester. Guess that is what I get for taking classes like "Thermodynamics of biomolecular systems" ha ha ha

More
10 years 8 months ago #70119 by hopefulMDtx
so... I WAS ACCEPTED TO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!! WOOOOO
(kind of late updating this, but better late than never huh?)

Texas has a pre-match and a match acceptance cycle. I got 2 pre-match offers and then "matched" to one of them. Unfortunately I have been placed on the alternate list for the medical school in my city... bummer.

After having a horrible roommate situation I decided to move in with my boyfriend. I couldn't be happier!!! [Big Grin] except of course now that it looks like i'll have to move (alone) 7 hours away to go to school. [Frown]

So it seems like i'm still going to play the waiting game...just in case a spot opens up at my 1st choice school. Luckily i've graduated though (yippeee) so now i'm just relaxing, waitressing, and enjoying a few months of no tests before the crazy-ness of medical school begins.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!