× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

Single mom of 2, med school diary

More
12 years 11 months ago #70293 by cardiacrn1
Its Tuesday night around 2030, I just got in from school and I am getting ready to go to the gym; thought I would update my diary. Sunday I studied most of the day taking a break to go and support my dear friend A who was getting baptized. It was a wonderful ceremony, her boyfriend officiated the baptism. Very warm people at the church, I felt very welcomed. Then of course, I went to the gym and did more studying until about 0330 Monday morning. I had planned on waking up at 5am but ended up waking up at 0630. After a quick shower, I went for my first genetics exam which was at 0730. I honestly think they set us up for failure by making our exams that early in the morning. :confused: Anyway, I had a genetics lecture and then a physio lecture and was done for the day. By noon I was in bed ready to catch up on some much needed sleep and did not wake up until 1730. I was kinda tired and was starting to have a cold, feeling miserable. My friend brought me some dayquil/nyquil; took the nyquil around 10pm and did not wake up until 0900 this am. Felt well rested and good, despite my hoarse voice. Went to lecture, had genetics, then physio and then OMM, my most favourate class. Its nice to finally know what is going on.... Stayed at school and studied until 1940 then came home and did my dishes. Dinner is in the oven, I just ate my sandwich and soon will be attempting to exercise. I can not do more than 10 minutes on the stair master, I will try for 12 today. Anyway, have biostatistics and epidemiology to study for, final next week and another genetics quiz monday and need to read over my physio notes from today and yesterday. Anyhoo, hope everyone is doing well, God Bless you all.

Remember, the days are long but the years are short.- Elizabeth Cooperstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #70294 by cardiacrn1
Its been a while. Busy does not begin to explain my days right now. Finals in a week and they are accumulative. It was nice to get Biostats and Epi out of the way. I have my OMM practical on Tuesday and final on Wednesday. The next mon its Physio then Tuesday is DPR and Wednesday is genetics. Cant wait for December 13th. Well, I best get back to studying, its going to be a busy busy week and a half.

More
12 years 9 months ago #70295 by cardiacrn1
Hello, its good to be back. For those who read my blog, I am sorry I have been MIA. I started writing a weekly devotional for my friends and family and that has been taking a lot of my time as I research the Bible. Its quite challanging, maybe in a few years I will be a pro and write biweekly. I will try not to neglect my blog as much.

Anyway, Christmas break was refreshing. I went to visit a really good friend in minnesota, he is doing his 3rd year at a small rural hospital in very very rural minnesota. It was a great trip, really enjoyed myself. I was there for 3 days and then I went to my parent's home for a week. My 4yr old was visiting his dad in Toronto, so my daughter and I drove down there to pick him up. My daughter wont stay for a visit unless I am with her so we spent 4 days there. It was quite challanging to share a home with my ex-husband and his new wife. I for one wanted to see how they interact so that I feel ok when the kids are there. I really like her and she is very sweet. My ex and I are starting to get along better now. One big happy family, ha. :rolleyes:

My last week of vacation was fun packed with all sorts of activities. (Trying to make up for the next four months when I will hardly spent quality time with my kids; not that you can actually make up for lost time.) We went to the Kalamazoo air zoo, it was so much fun. We went to museams, drove to a lot of places and just had a good time, and lots of photos to remind me that I actually have a life out of med school.

Classes started on monday. My schedule is packed this semester. Mon and Wednesday I have classes from 8-5 and Tue 8-3. Thur and Fri are my short days, 9-12. Its so so cold out and I do not like to leave my apartment when its cold. I do want to attend class everyday, I have not figured out where I am going to be studying. I could go a whole week without seeing anyone, just cooped up in my apartment, but thats just too depressing. May be I will try the Law library since its really nice. I need to find a nice confortable place to study.

Anyway, thats all I have for now. May God bless everyone as we start this new semester. Until next time

More
12 years 8 months ago #70296 by cardiacrn1
These past two weeks have been crazy. A very close friend of mine had a tragedy last weekend and since we did not have classes on MLK day, we drove to Dallas to be with her. It was a gruelling 19 hour drive, ice and rain the whole way. I had planned to do a lot of reading that weekend but it did not happen. I have my first exam in Physio on Monday and Micro on Wednesday. Other than that, life is good. I will be studying until the wee hours of the morning and then spending all day studying tomorrow. I hope to be done by 10pm. Its amaizing how God works in our lives. There are some people who come into our lives for a season and we are really sad to see them go, but I believe its all part of God's plan. He always sends someone else to comfort us during those times. God bless everyone and hope you all have a great week filled with God's blessings.

(Mwana wangu; that was for you.)

More
12 years 8 months ago #70297 by cardiacrn1
So, the physio exam came and went and thank God it was not difficult; aced it. (Lymp and endocrine).. I have not been very motivated to study for micro and its tomorrow 0730. I am sitting here staring at my scribes wondering how I am going to remember all this stuff by tomorrow. Anyway, instead of me dili dalling I better start my coffee and get on with it. I am contemplating taking a nap and then just not sleeping until post exam. I know its not good but its worked in the past. And then after that I have to catch up on more physio lectures as I have my next exam on Monday. Anyhoo, gotta go. :wave:

More
12 years 8 months ago #70298 by cardiacrn1
So its Friday. I decided to skip classes today and stay home and study. I was at school for 14 hours yesterday and its way too cold to be outside. My week was a little crazy but by God's grace I made it through. I did really well on my micro exam, i was actually very surprised as I felt that it was a difficult exam and I did not feel well prepared. I thank God. I should be studying as its Friday and I race with the sun to get in as much as I can before sunset. I have a physio/histo exam on Monday covering GI. Immunology is proving to be quite a challange. Oh well, break time is over, off to GI system. Have a great and safe weekend everyone.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!