× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

Single mom of 2, med school diary

More
12 years 8 months ago #70299 by cardiacrn1
I so have not been motivated to study. :( I guess I have too much going through my mind. I had told myself that I would not get involved in any relationships until after med school but 'accidentally' found myself in one. Long distance with a great guy who also happens to be in med school 800 miles away. Well, things didnt work out and now I find myself not concentrating and wondering what happened. I know man come and go and that's a part of life, but this is the first relationship I have had since my divorce (2yrs ago). I am just really sad and I am annoyed at myself for being sad. The bad thing about it is I dont really know what happened because he wont talk to me, everything seemed to be going well. Did I miss something; apparently. :confused: Anyway, that all will not get me anywhere. On the other hand I have immunology, neuroscience and physio to catch up on. Life keeps rolling on, it wont wait for me to get my emotions in check and pull it together. OH well. Thanks for reading my venting I am off to school till about midnight. Have a great day everyone.

Remember, the days are long but the years are short.- Elizabeth Cooperstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #70300 by cardiacrn1
School work has piled up on me. I have a physio exam bright and early tomorrow, and exams Wednesday and Friday, and then Monday again. I can not wait until this week is over. We stated Neuroscience about two weeks ago and since then it seems as though I can never be anywhere close to being caught up. I see the second years struggling and I wonder how I will manage when I am barely keeping up now. I will just have to trust God to carry me on eagles' wings. Gotta go back to the reproductive system...

More
12 years 7 months ago #70301 by cardiacrn1
I have been doing a good job of going to the gym. 20 minutes on the stairmaster and weights. I feel really good. BUT, I have started back on coffee. I had gone a whole month without coffee, endured the withdrawal headaches and now I am back on it. I have a headache after my first cup, not quite sure what that is all about. Well, anyway, I am planning to pull an all nighter since I dont really have anything mandatory for tomorrow. This way I can get caught up on immunology, our final is on Friday and then we have a physio/histo exam on Monday on renal and skin. Renal is proving to be a pain. When I was working as a ccu nurse I always used to say nephrologists were the smartest doctors around. I guess I was right all along.

Anyway, I was treated today by my OMM instructor for a Left unilateral extension. I can not tell you how good I feel. I was in a lot of pain today and after the treatment a little sore but now, I feel soooo good. When OMM works on you you start believing it more. My personal physician is a D.O and she often used manipulative medicine to treat my migranes after a number of prescription medications would not work; I was a believer then and now I am an even more believer :) OMM is fun. I am starting to enjoy it very much because now I understand the stuff and actually know what is going on. Its about time, we are 7 weeks into the semester.

Spring break is coming up in 2 weeks. My two good friends and I are driving to D.C for the weekend and I can not wait to relax and not think about exams for a week. I guess I better get back to studying, its gonna be a long night. Have a splendid week everyone and thanks for reading.

More
12 years 6 months ago #70302 by cardiacrn1
I have been gone way too long. I hope everyone is doing well and plugging along. Four more weeks till this semester is over. So, Neuroscience kicked my butt big time yesterday. I passed and I am grateful for the pass/fail system. I am getting tired though, maybe need to manage my time better. I dont get time off before summer semester because I am doing my intensive preceptorship course that week. It wont be so bad, I just have to think positive. We finished Physio and Histo beginning of march and we have path now instead. Microbiology is going well. We have female genitalia exams this week. Anyhoo, better get back to my books. chao. :wave:

More
12 years 3 months ago #70303 by cardiacrn1
It seems as though I had fallen off the face of the earth. Well, I am back and will try my best to post on a regular basis. I will divide this summary of my activities into months for easier reading.

April

What has happened to me since my last post??? WELL, we did our female genitalia exams and it was ok, just that on the bigger women I was having a more difficult time finding their ovaries. I guess its another thing off my list of what I want to do when I grow up; definitely not gynecology. I actually did not mind doing the pap smears, I understand how uncomfortable it is and I think as women we can really be empathetic.

The semester ended well. Did very well in my classes. It was nice going to take the finals with a little cushion and not worried about having to ace the exam to pass the class. I was very excited to be done with first year. I did not get a week off because I had my preceptorship that week which I will talk about in my next post. In the mean time between school I started doing volunteer work/research at the Infectious Disease clinic. There are two docs I work with and a nurse practitioner who is exceptional. One of the pecks is that I get to attend all these dinners hosted by pharmaceutical companies and get to meet some of the coolest ID doctors from around the country. I learn so much and hope someday to put that knowledge to use in my home country where there is an abundant need. Recently one of the pharmaceutical companies hosted a dinner for the HIV/AIDS patients in the community in a very nice restaurant and we had a turn out of about 35. It was nice to listen to a lecture in more layman terms because I was able to better grasp the concepts on genotyping. I hope to continue to work with these amaizing doctors at least through out the summer.

The munchkins are doing great. Healthy and Happy. :wave:
Until next time.

More
12 years 1 month ago #70304 by cardiacrn1
MAY.....

I did my one week of intensive preceptorship in rural Michigan. It was a nice place but being a woman of color, it was disheartening because there were no non-caucasians there. When I arrived at the doctor's office, the nurse manager said to me, "We do not have black patients because of our location." I guess it was her way of warning me. I had a wonderful time though. The doctor was very nice and his wife is his nurse and they are all such wonderful people. After the first two days, I was able to go in to see the patients before him and then discuss with him my findings. This is were my experience as a nurse came in handy. I loved every minute of my time. It's interesting that at the end of my week the doctor sat down with me and said, "Don't go into family practice, specialize." My school is top 5 in family practice, uuumh. Well, I guess that is something to think about. Overall, it was a good learning experience.

May 14th we started summer semester with Radiology, Neuromusckuloskeletal I (othopedics and pmr mostly), OMM and Pharmacology. I had to put in quite a lot of work in pharm but ended up doing really well. I just hope I will remember what I learnt as I go. We had the whole month of August off, it did not seem like a lot though. I was ready to start classes on August 27th. NMS II(Neurology), Pediatrics are our first classes. We are system based and I love it. Most days we have classes from 8am to 5 pm. It used to be painful, but since I started drinking coffee again, its a lot more tolerable. I have been sick with a horrible cold for the last two days and have not been to school. I am going to spend today trying to catch up. We often have exams twice a week and its brutal. We have our third neurology exam on thursday and monday we had our first peds exam. Until next time........

Oh.... on a very pleasant note. My four year old son started kindergarten a week ago and my seven year old daughter started 2nd grade. They are adjusting very well and I am just very excited especially for my boy. He is having the time of his life. I sure hope he continues to like school... My daughter told me yesterday that she has a major problem she has to deal with. Upon questioning her what the big problem was, she said, "Mom, there is this boy named Noah in my class, he has a huge crush on me. He is in love with me. I have to always run away from him." She said that so dramatically that I couldn't help but laugh. Good thing she didn't tell her father that; when she was four and the next door neighbor's five year old son kissed her, her father banned him from ever coming to our house to play. He is one over protective father. Just thought I would share the kinds of things that distress seven year olds.

May the good Lord bless each and everyone one of us this week and may He give us enough strength for each day. May we take one day at a time.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!