× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

Single mom of 2, med school diary

More
10 years 6 months ago #70305 by cardiacrn1
Two more weeks of school and then its Christmas break. We have our last two classes, fem. Repro and Behavioral and of course OMM. We finished Neuro, Peds, Endocrine, GI and I excelled in GI more than I even expected, but also I am interested in general surgery so that could be why. Its been hard adjusting from getting very high 90s in GI and trying to keep that up in OB, which is not anywhere close to being my favorite. I have my OMM practical on Thursday and I need to practice for that, this is the most stressful time for me. I don't like OMM practical exams. I like OMM, and written exams are no problem its just the performance anxiety that gets to me. It's snowing out and I need to motivate myself to get out of my apartment. I did not touch a book last week while I was on Thanksgiving break, now I am gonna pay for it as I have about 8 lectures to make up. Anyhooo, Hope everyone has a great week. The semester is almost over and for those 2nd years out there, boards are looming and I am petrified. I probably need to lower my standards a little and I will not be so stressed. Chao

Remember, the days are long but the years are short.- Elizabeth Cooperstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #70306 by cardiacrn1
OMM practicals came and went. Its over. I always end up performing very well but I am so very nervous prior to the exam. Anyways, I have two finals next week and one the following monday and I will be halfway through second year. I really need to get studying so that I am not trying to cover too much material at once. I have three lectures to catch up on in Behavioral and one paper to write and I will be ready to start studying for the Thursday exam. Have a great and safe weekend everyone and may God Bless you.

More
8 years 5 days ago #74798 by cardiacrn1
Wow. So I last blogged in 2007, it seems as though it was just a few months ago. procrastination is a bad habit... Where do I start??? On a personal note, my children are doing great, just started summer vacation. My daughter is going to be 10 in 2months and my son is 7 1/2. They seem so grown up now. My son said to me yesterday, "mom, I know you really enjoy being a doctor and all, but I don't really enjoy it because I don't get to see you as much." It broke my heart. Well, I guess he will not be going into medicine.... Anyway, I got married to a wonderful man who I met in medical school. Unfortunately we matched in different states, he will be in New York and I will be in Michigan; it will be difficult but like always I know it will work out well. So on a personal note, I am thriving and could not be happier.

I graduated in May, it was nice to see my classmates again. I matched in General Surgery in Michigan and will be starting orientation next week on my birthday. I am very excited and can't wait to get this show on the road. God has been gracious to me and I am so grateful to Him for everything that He has done for me. So this is year one of five and we shall see how it goes. I know this year will go by fast and I hope to learn and grow and always strive to be a better person each day.

until next time, ciao:)

More
8 years 5 days ago #74801 by momofalmosttwins
Hi mom of 2,
Congratulations!! It is inspiring to hear about your life and future plans. I wish you the best for the next five years of general surgery residency.I am a mom of two little girls one is about to be 6 mos and another is 18 mos. I am starting my med school in a month. I would like to ask you how did you balance your studies and personal life? Any word of advice will be greatly appreciated.

More
3 years 4 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #95649 by cardiacrn1
If you can not see yourself doing anything else in this life and medicine is your calling so to speak, do not give up! Keep pushing. It will not be easy, but you will make it. Look at all the wonderful, strong, successful women who have gone before you. You too will make it!!

Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by cardiacrn1.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!