× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

Mayo Clinic College of Medicine (from OPM blogs)

More
14 years 7 months ago #70450 by efex101
OMG! the first year is *finally* over thank goodness! after renal we started our endocrinology class which was great and the professors were outstanding! the tests were mostly essays which was different for us...used to m/c exams. All in all the course was well taught and very relevant to patient care. We then started digestive which was also taught by great clinicians and again the exams were essay..hmmm. Then we started our two last courses of the year..respiratory (by far the worse course IMHO) and bioethics. We are all so tired and having respiratory so late in the year when our brains are mush is not the brightest of ideas..the course was loooong and somewhat boring although they did try to make it more interesting..the final exam for that course was brutal but we all passed the course and we are now officially MSII's! woohoooo! we start second year the first week in Aug so we have a short summer here at Mayo. I am off to Spain tomorrow and will be gone for one month. Looking back this year was the hardest thing I have ever done but it went by quick and I have learned so much! I would *not* change one thing and I love the process most of the time...although at some points when you are bogged down it does suck major time...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #70451 by efex101
Ah, so long w/o posting. The summer was the best summer ever! I just took the professional approach to get a suntan...hehe..Spain was awesome as usual and my family had a blast there. School started Aug 1st...with a sexual health course for one week. No exams just all kinds of sexual behaviors/practices/issues that we will experience/observe as physicians. We started micro the week after that..this is a very intense course that will last for a little over a month..we covered bacteria in one week :eek: and had our first exam today! we all passed and the exam was fair but thorough. This is business as usual...tons of studying. I am looking forward to starting clerkships here in September...this in thing Mayo does "somewhat" different..we start clerkships in second year...

More
14 years 4 months ago #70452 by efex101
Micro is over and it was a great course albeit fast! we then started family med and it was great! I did an away family med week rotation at a rural MN location. The docs are phenomenal and very personable. I had a great time and saw first hand what this career will entail from the inside out. I spent a week living with my preceptors and was able to experience the very long hours! most of the days we were in clinic around 7:30 and still going way after five...I have yet to find a physician that works the 8-5 schedule.

More
13 years 10 months ago #70453 by efex101
Wow it has been so long since I posted but by far second year is much more stressful and time consuming than first. This may be due in part to being in the clinic every morning rotating through different services *and* then being in class from 1-5. Fridays we usually have off after 12 so that is nice and gives us some time to decompress. Microbiology was a fast course and I think going through bacteria in one week was not the best idea. This is a highly testable material on USMLE and it is important for patient care. Going through courses this fast does *not* make things stick in your head...we will see what happens for boards. One thing that Mayo is going to change is the curriculum and they truly need a change. Although this school is excellent and the faculty are the best, it is just too much time in class! this leaves little time for much else. This has been quite a stressful year and when other upper classmates told me I could NOT fathom anything more difficult than first year :eek: but I came to find out that second year is 10X more difficult (material wise it is more volume albeit more interesting).
Second year is pretty much pathophysiology, pharmacology and radiology. On top of these courses we also have "exams" for our clinical rotations that we have in the mornings. So at any given point we are faced with four exams! which is actually quite a bit if they fall close to each other. First year they really tried to make sure our exams were not back to back...but for some reason this year some of the exams were back to back with each other. This would NOT be an issue if I had *chose* to go to a school with block exams (all exams taken in one week and then the rest of the time you chill/study). I did not choose that style because I do not like that style hence my choice of Mayo. I prefer more exams but not two/three in a day/row. So this was a shock for me come second year. Yes, we all survived but dang at a high price. Some exams have over 1000 power point slides and a syllabus to study for and that is just ONE exam! imagine studying for all that and then add two more exams. The problem with this schedule is that there is little time to study. Clinic in the morning takes preparation and there is things to do afterwards and then class time by the time you get home you are exhausted! and have to muster up energy to study. Weekends are great for resting but again there is time spent studying as well. One good thing about second year is that overall there were "less" exams than first year *but* the material is more for second year so not sure if this is a good thing or bad.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!