× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

28 yr old non-trad mother of 3

More
13 years 9 months ago #70710 by Asha Yakini Kidawa
Today, we finally made it to the zoo. The kids were suspended (yes, terrible, I know) for too many tardies (six - mostly accumulated when hubby and I almost divorced for real, real back in the winter months). I felt so bad b/c it’s totally not their faults, and even during our mess they managed to do very well in school. So we went to the zoo since we didn’t get to go last week. It was cloudy outside, which made for a very nice day at the zoo. Not too hot. Not too cool. We had a ball. After that, we headed to the main public library, and check out some books. I had been meaning to read Octavia Butler’s books, so I got two of them. I can’t believe I had never heard of her until she died. I also got some books on chemistry to hopefully give me a good start in my class at the end of this month.

Friday night, we went bowling. It was fun, except for the kids whooping our behinds! I wish they would set those side boards up to keep my balls from going in the gutter the way that they did for the kids. I did manage to place 4th ahead of my hubby every time though…LOL. Serves him right for giving me such a hard time about medical school. Yes, he’s acting completely brand new again.

We will have to schedule some time to go and see the nearby presidential library pretty soon. Oh, and the museum of discovery too as well as Mid America museum, amusement park, and the children’s plays at the Art Center. I’m trying to spend as much time with the kids before my time gets limited. Maybe, they’ll be fulfilled for a while and understanding. Hopefully it won’t backfire and make them madder than h-e-double hockey sticks when I can’t do these things so often anymore. We shall see.

A nearby hospital has an opening for an ER admissions clerk. It’s a night position on weekends. Hopefully I will get it! I plan to apply tomorrow. I still haven’t heard from the other position that I applied for last week. Maybe I’ll hear something soon.

Asha Yakini Kidawa<br />Life Truth Medicine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #70711 by Asha Yakini Kidawa
just posting some things that I've run across and want to remember

FUNNY HOW THE "FATHER OF MEDICINE" (Hippocrates) IDENTIFIED THE REAL FATHER OF MEDICINE ( Imhotep/Aescalapius) IN HIS OATH SOME 2000 YEARS AFTER HE LIVED...

"It is Imhotep," said Sir William Osler of John Hopkins University, "who was the real father of medicine. The first figure of a physician to stand out clearly from the mists of antiquity."

CLASSIC HIPPOCRATIC OATH

I swear by Apollo Physician and Asclepius and Hygieia and Panaceia and all the gods and goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will fulfil according to my ability and judgment this oath and this covenant:

To hold him who has taught me this art as equal to my parents and to live my life in partnership with him, and if he is in need of money to give him a share of mine, and to regard his offspring as equal to my brothers in male lineage and to teach them this art - if they desire to learn it - without fee and covenant; to give a share of precepts and oral instruction and all the other learning to my sons and to the sons of him who has instructed me and to pupils who have signed the covenant and have taken an oath according to the medical law, but no one else.

I will apply dietetic measures for the benefit of the sick according to my ability and judgment; I will keep them from harm and injustice.

I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody who asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. Similarly I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy. In purity and holiness I will guard my life and my art.

I will not use the knife, not even on sufferers from stone, but will withdraw in favor of such men as are engaged in this work.

Whatever houses I may visit, I will come for the benefit of the sick, remaining free of all intentional injustice, of all mischief and in particular of sexual relations with both female and male persons, be they free or slaves.

What I may see or hear in the course of the treatment or even outside of the treatment in regard to the life of men, which on no account one must spread abroad, I will keep to myself, holding such things shameful to be spoken about.

If I fulfil this oath and do not violate it, may it be granted to me to enjoy life and art, being honored with fame among all men for all time to come; if I transgress it and swear falsely, may the opposite of all this be my lot.

Translation from the Greek by Ludwig Edelstein. From The Hippocratic Oath: Text, Translation, and Interpretation, by Ludwig Edelstein. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins Press, 1943.

MODERN HIPPOCRATIC OATH

(HOW DO YOU HAVE THE TEXT OF THE ORIGINAL HIPPOCRATIC OATH AND JUST DECIDE TO CHANGE IT, YET STILL CALL IT THE HIPPOCRATIC OATH?)

I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.

Written in 1964 by Louis Lasagna, Academic Dean of the School of Medicine at Tufts University, and used in many medical schools today.

MODERN OATH OF IMHOTEP (the text of an ancient oath is unknown or at least by me. This oath was created by the author listed below.)

I swear by this oath, in recognition of Imhotep, healer and physician of antiquity, with God as my witness, to uphold these ideals to the best of my ability. With honor to our Creator, the greatest physician of all:

I shall honor those who taught me this art, seeing them as my fathers and mothers, shall respect other physicians, seeing them as my brothers and sisters.

I shall pledge my loyalty and support to this institution and know that the secrets of the art of healing have been passed down, not for glory, but for the benefit of humankind.

I shall recognize that this position of service implies great responsibility to patients, colleagues, society and myself.

I shall practice the art of medicine in a conscientious manner and maintain the highest ethical and moral standards in serving my patients and others under my care.

I shall always act in the best interest of my patients, educating them on the benefits of prevention, early detection and healthy lifestyles.

I shall strive to maintain my own good health and seek help for myself when ill, trusting my fellow physicians to restore my health and well-being.

I shall, for the benefit of my patients, view my education as a lifelong process and aim to stay abreast of current advancements in my field.

In fulfillment of this oath, God grant me a life of joy and the satisfaction and reward that comes with the restoration of health and bodily function. In violation of this oath, I shall accept and admit my shortcoming and seek the assistance and guidance of my colleagues, as my brothers and sisters.

A. C. Pickett is the author of "The oath of Imhotep: in recognition of African contributions to Western medicine" which is found in the July 1992 edition of the Journal of the National Medical Association. (84[7]:636-7, 1992 Jul).

More
13 years 9 months ago #70712 by Asha Yakini Kidawa
So hubby and I decided we really don't want to move. The only way to stay is for me to go back to work. I've had enough time off so that the idea doesn't make me wanna puke anymore. So I sent the email last night to my main boss (I have around 5 which is a joke and probably contributed to alot of the stress that made me want to quit!). Anyhow, I sent her an email that I was available to come back sooner than expected (which is what they encouraged me to do before I left...come back early if I wanted to). Anyhow, I also told her that I needed more flexible hours if possible (chemistry class and lab is from 8:40 - 11:50 each day), and that I needed to work from home. All of this promised to me by my old supervisor under my boss who is now in the hospital recovering from a very bad car wreck...but he is doing wonderful now! Thank God!

So anyhow, she responded today and said that we need to set up some time to talk about a few things. I wonder what that means? I guess we shall find out soon enough. I hope we can work it out...otherwise I may be looking for another job and selling this house afterall!

I picked up my chemistry book today. The lab manual wasn't in stock yet. I've also begun working on my MCAT general chemistry outline. The goal is to get that puppy finished before I start class on next Tuesday. That way I can be tweaking it and learning it as I go.

More
13 years 8 months ago #70713 by Asha Yakini Kidawa
So the meeting to find out if I'm going back to work anytime soon or not is on next Thursday on the phone.

I begin class on Tuesday. I went and picked up my lab manual today. Boy, school sure does cost more than it used to. $850 for one freaking class (tuition and books)! And it's undergrad. Wow. I'd hate to see tuition at a big school. My goodness! It's a public state school too. Why don't they have salary caps for schools like they do for sports? Who can we put in charge of getting that? LOL

I was feeling sort of uneasy about the job/house situation. I thought about just dropping my class and waiting until things were more stable around here. Of course that means that I for sure wouldn't be taking the mcat until way later than planned originally (shooting for April right now). Anyhow, the hubster really came through. He said go for it. We only live once and, we might as well do what we love. He said that I should just step out on faith and believe that everything will be okay knowing that I've done all I can do.

I was so surprised! He really made my day. I wonder where that came from. He doesn't say things like that very often. I should have checked for his birth mark to make sure that wasn't an imposter! LOL. Oh well, I'm not saying anything else to rock the boat. Gotta take these when I can get 'em, before he takes it back! Ha!

Other good news. My daycare provider (also my older cousin) is going to cut me a heck of a deal off her already low price. She's going to watch all 3 of my children for $90 a week for half days while I attend class. Woo hoo! And my oldest two will get to go on fieldtrips and stay the whole day about twice a week for no additional charge other than the price of the fieldtrip. God is good...all the time...and all the time...God is good. Had to go back to the throwback Baptist chuuch saying. Yeah. That good.

We should hear something about the refinance on the house soon too. Hopefully that'll make it affordable on just DH's salary if it comes down to that. Hopefully my job won't trip and act ugly...but they are known for saying one thing and doing another, so we'll see. I'm not worried either way. Everytime a door has closed, a better one has opened. It's all for my good and a lesson for me to learn. That's how I see it.

Here's something interesting...links to ancient medical texts...the Ebers and Edwin Smith papyri.

nefertiti.iwebland.com/timelines/topics/eberspapyrus.htm

nefertiti.iwebland.com/timelines/topics/smithpapyrus.htm

More
13 years 8 months ago #70714 by Asha Yakini Kidawa
So much has happened! The sky didn't fall, amazingly.

Hubby left today for a 10 day trip to Cali to see his aunt. She was nice enough to send him a ticket, and pay for everything when he comes. It was even her idea! She's supposed to send for me later. Apparently she had her own personal reasons for being so sweet. Her 16 yr old grandson is going through a hard time with her separation from her husband (he found a new PYT). The only male figure in his life has truly disappointed him. His father and mother have never been there for him. He's given up on school. Well, DH is a motivator and he has the mouth of the south. Either he'll be inspired or he'll want DH to be quiet. One way or the other, he's going to make it out of this rut! LOL. He really enjoyed DH when he came last time about 6 years ago. Apparently, DH made a big impact on him, and he can't wait to see him again.

Boo! I miss DH already. Usually, we are fussing more than anything, but lately he's been really sweet. We did talk today, and he's landed safely. I did give him a little piece of my mind though. Apparently, I can't have men friends, but his lady friend can call him to wish him a safe trip. I heard this voicemail on his cell phone that he left here at the house. Don't get me wrong...I know her and believe that their friendship is totally innocent. But what a double standard! Yeah, I had to say something about that one. Yeah.

I had my call with the boss lady, and my supervisor has made a full recovery! He's expected to begin working from home on Monday. They can't keep him away. Truth be told, he needs to sit his arse down somewhere and rest. But he loves to work. He's one of those people that always has to be doing something. Wait. I think I'm one of those people too. LOL. They just let him come on back to work b/c they can't keep him away anyhow. No use in making him upset by trying.

Anyhow, we discussed my new schedule, and she agreed to it. She sounded really excited about me coming back. I'll just need to come in one full day to get re-acclimated. Cool. I guess I can miss one day of class. Right now it looks as if I'll be starting back on the 12th. That'll be cool. I'll have just taken my 1st Physics exam on the 9th, so I should be able to recover from that day of missed class. I have to remember not to sign up for lab that day though. Glad he doesn't take attendance and that lab is structured so that you can miss a few if you have to. I definitely won't make that a habit though.

Speaking of physics...are you wondering how in the world I ended up in there? Of course you aren't, b/c no one reads this thing but me...LOL. Anyhow, I had originally planned to retake general chem I this session since I hadn't taken it since 96, and even then I made a C in it. I decided not to retake it for a few reasons. (1) I made a C in it without even really trying. No studying. Just bs'ing my way through. (2) I found out that AAMC will just average both my grades in if I retake. It won't replace the grade. So why the heck should I retake it? I figure that since I'm paying for these classes out of pocket, I will instead take a higher level class such as biochemistry/genetics/etc...when that time comes. That way I can be better prepared for medical school when I actually enter. (3) For some reason I was under the impression that my pre-med classes would "expire". I don't know where I got that from. Maybe I mixed it up with the mcat scores. Thanks to someone's post on another thread, I checked into it and found that isn't the case.

So what is my plan for general chem II in the next summer session? I got my book and am going to hopefully begin reviewing the first half of it. But right now my focus is on this physics. It's not that bad, but it can get ugly real quick. I'm glad I took physics back in the day (highschool). It's not completely new to me, but we are humping. We cover a chapter a day and have a test on Friday after only a week of class over 6 chapters! I went and bought the study guide today as I'll need all the help I can get. Time to get my study on! It will be hard since I'm now the sole attention giver to the kids while DH is gone. That what doesn't kill you makes you stronger I guess.

I need to get my exercise on and keep it up. Jumping rope really helps. I need to up my water intake. I drink about zero now...unless you count the ice in the sodas. I have a lot of nervous energy that I need to get rid of. It's as if I can feel the change of pace coming. I think I have a really busy next few months headed my way.

More
13 years 8 months ago #70715 by Asha Yakini Kidawa
Taking a break from studying physics...can't really concentrate with kids.

"Mama, can you tell Myles to stop pooting?"

"Do y'all want to take a nap?" (my solution to everything. They avoid sleep like the plague.)

My goodness!

I have 293 points in lab so far for three labs. I only have to get 1170 out of 1680 points to get an A (280 of those are bonus). Should be do-able. I wish we could take some of those points and put them toward the class! :p

On a bittersweet note, DH called last night to tell me his good news. Apparently, his aunt is willing to help him found a business. She has the capital, he has the know how, and I have the business knowledge (took business classes for my BBA in CIS and took a small business course). So I'm supposed to be working on business plans for said business. I'm really happy b/c DH practically runs the division at his job and does all for them that he could be doing for himself. He's totally ready to run a business, and I've said so for a long time. However, starting a business is not an easy task. In the beginning, there will be a huge amount of work (for me), and it is stressful. I don't know what that means for my medical dreams. I'll take it one day at a time though and see what happens.

Until Friday, I'll be studying for physics.

After that, I'll be working on a business plan and trying to get an outline finished before I begin back to work on Monday.

I'm tired already. I need a nap.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!