× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

medschool for a nonscience major

More
11 years 11 months ago #70720 by stepanka
I have been hesitant to post here or start a blog. I figured now would be a good time, considering I was accepted to a medical school in my home state yesterday!

So I guess I'll introduce myself. As the title of this thread suggests, I'm a nonscience major at a state university. My path to pre-med is actually kind of odd. I was an Electrical Engineering major for 2ish years. I decided that I wanted to pursue medicine my sophomore year. I planned to concentrate in biomedical engineering within EE. However, I felt pretty unhappy in my classes. I love science. I loved physics and math. But, my EE classes were...boring. Don't get me wrong, I was learning some really interesting things at times, but overall I was unsatisfied. I think that it partly had to do with the fact that I hadn't read a good book since I first started college, and I realized that I really missed it. I found myself dreaming about being able to change majors, not really thinking it was possible. There is this stigma around engineering (at least here). I was a female in a male dominated major, and I didn't want to be just another one of those people who "couldn't handle" engineering, and being a girl added more to that feeling. I did a lot of thinking, and one day I decided that I would go through with the change - I was officially an English major. (please don't judge my grammar :) )

I felt pretty happy about this decision. In a pre-med society I'm in, doctors who came to speak to us kept telling us to take fun classes that we were interested in. They said that we will study science in med school, so why not take those liberal art classes now while we can?

So here I am, a senior, graduating in May with a seat in medical school. I'm only slightly scared about being a little behind in bio once school starts next year. Ah. Hopefully any nonbio/nonsci majors can learn something from my transition into medical school.

I think that's enough for now. I plan on posting some more background information and application process stuff in my next post. :wave:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!