× Women in Medicine Blogs & Diaries

I don't know what to do with my life!

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #71479 by **DONOTDELETE**
I am 21 years old, I'm female, and I have a 3 year old daughter. Being a mother at a young age has not bee easy, since I was a senior in High School I knew my academic goals would have to be on hold for a while, but I never thought It would take longer. I graduated from High School 5 years ago, and while working fulltime, being a mother, and going to school part time(only taking two or one class per semester) has been really hard for me.
Most of my classmates from 2006 are graduating this year from mostly a 4 year program. and I can't help but feeling anxious and sad about my school future.
My boyfriend who is also taking a few classes per semester, working full time. We, both have a hard time between paying day care, school supplies, classess, and living expenses.
I've taken mostly all my prereq classes for Nursing, but now I don't know if i should go for med school because that has been my goal since I was 6 years old, and maybe take my premed classes in a community college while my boyfriend finishes his classess first and then help me out.
I don't know what to do with my life.
I love my daughter and my boyfriend, but i don't know what to do, people say that taking premed courses in a Community College will afect my Medical school aceptance, but that the only thing i can afford right now because i have to pay rent, day care, college classes, and other expenses.
Please, give me your advice i will really appreciated any idea of yours.
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #71484 by TracyK
Hi there

You sound as though you feel a little overwhelmed?

It's great that you are keen to get going with your studies but a few thoughts on my end:

1. You are young enough to take a little time to reach your dream. Don't rush it.

2. I am not sure what your boyfriend is studying and whether, once complete, his studies may put you in a better financial position? Would it make sense for him to finish his studies first, obtain a better paying job and for you to then take your turn at it? Again, I'm not sure of your situation at present.

3. Medicine, as you know, is a long term commitment. Think of this time as preparation. It's not wasted time. Set your life up so that your situation is a little more secure so that you feel less overwhelmed during your studies. If that takes a couple of years - that's OK. When your daughter reaches school age, things will also be a little easier, as she becomes more independent. (This was my experience).

I am certainly not discouraging you and think it's wonderful that you are so passionate! :) Keep forging ahead!

Best of luck to you!

Take care of yourself!

Tracy

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't. You're right." - Henry Ford

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!